• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Plymouth Argyle official matchday thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Club have fixed the EFL team of the week! :)

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
The EFL's team of the week. Just Nicky Law in the team.

Don't play him on the left!

Legohead

Banned
What a spectacle this game was. As someone who had never experienced a Devon derby before i sat back at the top of the Grandstand (superb view btw) and took all this in. Seeing the BB swelled to the rafters was quite a sight. I read on Pasoti that some fans were making comparisons between the Sheffield derby and this one. I grew up not far from Sheffield and i've been to the steel city derbies. The Exeter / Plymouth derby seemed to me a lot more intense in terms of regional history and significance. To outsiders like me, the South West can often appear insular and cut off so to speak from the rest of the country and i got the impression that this isolation from the rest of the country combined with the closeness of the two teams in geographical terms makes the rivalry between them even more important.

I didn't really know what to expect on the day and was a bit nervous tbh, not least because i'd made a weekend of it with the family down from the north and thought the game may be in doubt due to the rain. I didn't know what to expect from the day in terms of crowd trouble etc as i try and avoid all that stupidity / immaturity like the plague.

Unfortunately I didn't manage it as an Exeter lad chucked a smoke bomb in the car park in red square before the game literally as I was walking back out and he got nicked. Presumably he subsequently missed the clubs best home win over Argyle for nearly a century.

I did leave early just as we scored our 4th as I didn't know if there would be any trouble outside or what roads would be shut as my other half was waiting in the car outside to pick me up. Ordinarily I wouldn't do that but we had won the game and I didnt know what to expect as I'd not been to one of these games before.

I don't know if there was any aggro after the match or not but decided it best to get away before any did occur. Probably being too over cautious though.

I was immensely impressed with the new grandstand. I usually go in the IP but now I'm switching for good. Superb stand and superb view. Really impressed.

The performance from us was fantastic. More committed and up for it than the argyle players. In fact they were atrocious. Barely troubled us all game.

Seeing Williams finish the third exquisitely and do a somersault was the icing on the cake.

Just want to thank the club really and the management and players for making this weekend special. I watched the match in a lot of pain and discomfort as I have an illness as well as an inguinal hernia that I'm due to have an operation on so the long drive down and weekend stay and wet weather made it difficult but thoroughly worthwhile and it was a weekend I won't forget.

Went to Crealy for the kid on a beautiful Sunday so all in all a memorable weekend down in the great city of Exeter!

Hopefully I will be down for another home game before the Good Friday one v Morecambe that I'm definitely down for. But it's Bradford away for me next, a more shorter and more manageable trek and hopefully we can make it back to back wins in what will certainly be one of the toughest away games of the season.

Exeter City. A proper club.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Oh and I thought the ref had a superb game. Managed it well. I'm not a fan of Mr Drysdale generally but credit where its due. Also found it weird when he actually raised his arms and physically shoved Bowman away when Bowman was protesting about something. A player doing that to another player would be running the risk of being sent off. Never seen that before. A ref manhandling a player. Bizarre.

IndoMike

Oh and I thought the ref had a superb game. Managed it well. I'm not a fan of Mr Drysdale generally but credit where its due. Also found it weird when he actually raised his arms and physically shoved Bowman away when Bowman was protesting about something. A player doing that to another player would be running the risk of being sent off. Never seen that before. A ref manhandling a player. Bizarre.
I thought about that, too. Unusual.

IndoMike

What a spectacle this game was. As someone who had never experienced a Devon derby before i sat back at the top of the Grandstand (superb view btw) and took all this in. Seeing the BB swelled to the rafters was quite a sight. I read on Pasoti that some fans were making comparisons between the Sheffield derby and this one. I grew up not far from Sheffield and i've been to the steel city derbies. The Exeter / Plymouth derby seemed to me a lot more intense in terms of regional history and significance. To outsiders like me, the South West can often appear insular and cut off so to speak from the rest of the country and i got the impression that this isolation from the rest of the country combined with the closeness of the two teams in geographical terms makes the rivalry between them even more important.

I didn't really know what to expect on the day and was a bit nervous tbh, not least because i'd made a weekend of it with the family down from the north and thought the game may be in doubt due to the rain. I didn't know what to expect from the day in terms of crowd trouble etc as i try and avoid all that stupidity / immaturity like the plague.

Unfortunately I didn't manage it as an Exeter lad chucked a smoke bomb in the car park in red square before the game literally as I was walking back out and he got nicked. Presumably he subsequently missed the clubs best home win over Argyle for nearly a century.

I did leave early just as we scored our 4th as I didn't know if there would be any trouble outside or what roads would be shut as my other half was waiting in the car outside to pick me up. Ordinarily I wouldn't do that but we had won the game and I didnt know what to expect as I'd not been to one of these games before.

I don't know if there was any aggro after the match or not but decided it best to get away before any did occur. Probably being too over cautious though.

I was immensely impressed with the new grandstand. I usually go in the IP but now I'm switching for good. Superb stand and superb view. Really impressed.

The performance from us was fantastic. More committed and up for it than the argyle players. In fact they were atrocious. Barely troubled us all game.

Seeing Williams finish the third exquisitely and do a somersault was the icing on the cake.

Just want to thank the club really and the management and players for making this weekend special. I watched the match in a lot of pain and discomfort as I have an illness as well as an inguinal hernia that I'm due to have an operation on so the long drive down and weekend stay and wet weather made it difficult but thoroughly worthwhile and it was a weekend I won't forget.

Went to Crealy for the kid on a beautiful Sunday so all in all a memorable weekend down in the great city of Exeter!

Hopefully I will be down for another home game before the Good Friday one v Morecambe that I'm definitely down for. But it's Bradford away for me next, a more shorter and more manageable trek and hopefully we can make it back to back wins in what will certainly be one of the toughest away games of the season.

Exeter City. A proper club.

Nice post

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't see that but fair play to the ref. They get hounded all game by players and Bowman is more guilty than most for doing this so a little shove in his direction was probably what was needed

Legohead

Banned
Bowman and the ref were laughing about it straight after but it was a serious shove off with both arms from the ref on Bowmans upper chest area. I couldn't believe my eyes. o_O

Saw it clear as day as i was in line with it in the Grandstand.

CWH-NYC_

It is in the extended highlights or 360, I cant recall witch.

Alistair20000

Perhaps Mr Drysdale should have given himself a yellow card.:)