• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town, Pappa John Pizza Trophy. Match Day Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
The keeping wasn't great was it?
Steady on! It appears everybody wants to point the finger at everybody else but him! You'll become unpopular. That said, I agree. I've never seen such a disinterested GK between the sticks for us as JM. That first goal was meat and drink to a reasonable keeper, and the second went right through him. Very Very poor.

OmanGrecian

Maxted got closer to the ball when he was up front at the end than he did when we conceded from a cross into the box :ROFLMAO:

Positive spin

I think most of us know where the finger pointing usually starts

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Steady on! It appears everybody wants to point the finger at everybody else but him! You'll become unpopular. That said, I agree. I've never seen such a disinterested GK between the sticks for us as JM. That first goal was meat and drink to a reasonable keeper, and the second went right through him. Very Very poor.
Shows the distorted view you get from a single camera.

Maxted was partly at fault with the first goal, though the defence should have stopped the header, but I was right behind the line of the second and he was unsighted, it's very difficult to get down to a low shot close to you at the near post when you have no time to react. A mixture of McArdle's hesitancy and a bad bounce, not a GK error.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Maxted was partly at fault with the first goal, though the defence should have stopped the header, but I was right behind the line of the second and he was unsighted, it's very difficult to get down to a low shot close to you at the near post when you have no time to react. A mixture of McArdle's hesitancy and a bad bounce, not a GK error.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'd agree. As regards McArdle, his initial hesitation is bad enough – all the more so when some people insist on telling us he's the proverbial brick-5hithouse centre-half who will launch the ball into orbit in such situations – but what for me is even more galling is that after his initial error he shows no resolve to rescue the situation, but is, apparently, happy to watch on from afar. Arron Martin was banished to obscurity for half a season for less.

Reactions: Ash

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maxted was pi$$ poor for the winner and he was lucky in the first half when he limply parried the ball straight back into the danger zone.

He needs to step his games up pronto.

When is Ward back ??

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maxted does have the occasional worldie of a performance however too often he looks very sluggish and his effort (or lack of it) to keep the ball out of the net is severely lacking at times.

He looks about a stone or two overweight, I appreciate he has been injured however surely you still do fitness work when you are out, to me it looks like he spent the time on the Just Eat website.

PeteUSA

Maxted does have the occasional worldie of a performance however too often he looks very sluggish and his effort (or lack of it) to keep the ball out of the net is severely lacking at times.

He looks about a stone or two overweight, I appreciate he has been injured however surely you still do fitness work when you are out, to me it looks like he spent the time on the Just Eat website.

Good post, theres not a lot more to say. He looks unfit, but I would have thought Taylor would be aware of that, and would be curious as to what fitness regime he's been on while away from the club.

Red Devon

It’s height we’re missing at the back more than the brick outhouse type, that’s why players like Andy Williams at Cheltenham find it so easy to put the ball in the back of our net from delivery into the box...Goode at Northampton last season who was superb was just towering rather than an outhouse.