• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town, Pappa John Pizza Trophy. Match Day Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
If it were a one-off miss I'd be inclined to be sympathetic, but his track record for this kind of thing is not good.
How many other one on ones has he had this season?!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If it were a one-off miss I'd be inclined to be sympathetic, but his track record for this kind of thing is not good.
What's your take on Ryan Bowman?!

IndoMike

At least it will be easier to identify the culprit.
Could have been one of the cardboard cut- outs.

Oldsmobile-88

I once asked Tis about this. He said he appreciated that the supporters were perplexed by this but they had analysed (I think) 279 corners and the stats were in favour of having everyone back.
MT said exactly the same at a fans meeting around 18 months ago..The stats back it up.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I once asked Tis about this. He said he appreciated that the supporters were perplexed by this but they had analysed (I think) 279 corners and the stats were in favour of having everyone back. I suggested he occasionally did leave someone up to confuse the opponents, and got that look managers have when fans make unwelcome suggestions...

That was some years ago, mind, there may be more extensive research now.
I think it's probably one of those things everyone does just because that's what they get taught when doing their coaching badges.

I do not see how having all eleven players in our box aided us when the cross came in last night and matey scored with a free header. Or at the death at Cheltenham the other day. Or any of the other lapses this season.

Try something new Taylor. Leave at least one of the little fellers up the pitch at corners. Can't get much worse, can it?

IndoMike

To find out if Ajose can do the biz he needs a run of games to find his rhythm and goal scoring technique. For whatever reason, Matt T hasn't given him that opportunity.
If he isn't the type of player that Matt likes them the obvious question is why did he sign him?

Matt has done a really good job and the football we are playing seems pretty exciting, but like all managers, even SAF, he has made some carp signings, too. Imo McA is not as good as Martin and probably not even as good as Warren, who was also a veteran.

Tbh, thank God the youngsters have done well, otherwise we might have been in the sh*t this season.

crocks

The keeping wasn't great was it?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT said exactly the same at a fans meeting around 18 months ago..The stats back it up.
I remain to be convinced by this. Firstly, 279 corners seems an extremely small sample from which to draw such hard & fast conclusions. Notwithstanding that, even if teams who have all 10 outfield players back for corners do concede fewer goals per game than teams who don't that doesn't necessarily mean that this is the way to go. Your average golfer will hit his driver further than his three-wood, but if you habitually hook, or slice, your driver out of bounds the best place for it is back in your bag, likewise Bruno Fernandes has a pretty much-unprecedented record of success from the penalty spot, but that doesn't mean everyone should adopt his technique.

I'd have thought it's all about making the best possible use of the resources at your disposal and, as others have already pointed out, there's little point having everyone inside the box if it demonstrably isn't working for you.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
279 corners seems an extremely small sample
279 is only the number I had in what's left of my mind, I wouldn't take it as accurate. It might have been a much larger figure.

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
279 is only the number I had in what's left of my mind, I wouldn't take it as accurate. It might have been a much larger figure.
Regardless of the figure, my point is the same. With the personnel at our disposal, bringing all 10 outfield players back to defend corners isn't working for us. Given we're now four months into the season, it seems reasonable to assume if we haven't sorted it on the training ground at the C&F by now we're not going to.