• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Derby County matchday thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can we afford players who can play the style of football the manager wants to?
Probably not. How much is a centre half who can play out from the back and defend?

manc grecian

We couldn't really make it a physical game against them as they were bigger and stronger than us. In fact, they were physically the strongest team we've come up against this season, they looked more like a Premier League side in stature than L1. Our little team of half pint youngsters didn't really stand a chance.
We signed those half pint youngsters. Loads of technically good players but most of them get blown over in the wind.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC wanted to bring in pace on the wings, I could see where he was going with that. But this year they then cut back almost every time; this cannot be a player decision - they are being told to do this. If we were going to set up like that we may as well have kept Sparkes? He could whip a ball in from deeper positions.
Agree RE Sparkes, but Harper has been causing absolute mayhem the past few games beating players from quite a deep position, mostly cutting inside. Got absolutely nothing out of Wilson last night but Barnsley and Peterborough didn't have a great time with the pacy wide player coming inside thing, so I'm not convinced it's completely useless.

fred binneys head

Late trip home last night (got in at 2.30am) but I actually really enjoyed the game and left feeling really positive about the rest of the season. I've felt far angrier at games where we've drawn or lost by fewer goals than we did last night. Reason for that is I thought we passed the ball well, we battled hard, yes we played the possession game and passed it around at the back a lot, but we also moved the ball forward a lot more than in the dark days at the end of 2023 and played some lovely, intricate stuff. We didn't test their keeper enough, but that was down to excellent defending by a very strong side.

Derby's shape out of possession was perfect for their game plan, they made it very difficult for us to find any space to hurt them and, when we did, they closed us down quickly and defended brilliantly. In addition, they were set up to hurt us with the counter-attacks and had the players who could deliver, their 2nd and 3rd goals were superb. First goal was a bit lucky I thought, Vil had it covered but it took a wicked bounce that put it over him. But it was the perfect away performance: absorb the pressure, defend well and then break fast and finish clinically. Well done to Derby.

But I was proud of our boys, they gave their all. I thought SGC did a decent job last night too, other than bringing Cole off when he did. And I thought Aimson was excellent in his time on the pitch, which I was very pleased about, and it wasn't one of Sweenz's best halves of football (still bloody love Sweenz though, me). Finally, I was very pleased there was no booing on the bank at half time or full time, and there was lots of clapping after the final whistle, including from me.

The lads played well, they just came up against a stronger side who executed their gameplan perfectly on the night. We'll stay up comfortably. See you all at Lincoln.

yticretexe

it was the perfect away performance: absorb the pressure, defend well and then break fast and finish clinically. Well done to Derby.
Could be said for 90% of away performances against us this year.

Grecian Max

Agree RE Sparkes, but Harper has been causing absolute mayhem the past few games beating players from quite a deep position, mostly cutting inside. Got absolutely nothing out of Wilson last night but Barnsley and Peterborough didn't have a great time with the pacy wide player coming inside thing, so I'm not convinced it's completely useless.
I think "absolute mayhem" is over selling it mate 😂

Positive spin

Late trip home last night (got in at 2.30am) but I actually really enjoyed the game and left feeling really positive about the rest of the season. I've felt far angrier at games where we've drawn or lost by fewer goals than we did last night. Reason for that is I thought we passed the ball well, we battled hard, yes we played the possession game and passed it around at the back a lot, but we also moved the ball forward a lot more than in the dark days at the end of 2023 and played some lovely, intricate stuff. We didn't test their keeper enough, but that was down to excellent defending by a very strong side.

Derby's shape out of possession was perfect for their game plan, they made it very difficult for us to find any space to hurt them and, when we did, they closed us down quickly and defended brilliantly. In addition, they were set up to hurt us with the counter-attacks and had the players who could deliver, their 2nd and 3rd goals were superb. First goal was a bit lucky I thought, Vil had it covered but it took a wicked bounce that put it over him. But it was the perfect away performance: absorb the pressure, defend well and then break fast and finish clinically. Well done to Derby.

But I was proud of our boys, they gave their all. I thought SGC did a decent job last night too, other than bringing Cole off when he did. And I thought Aimson was excellent in his time on the pitch, which I was very pleased about, and it wasn't one of Sweenz's best halves of football (still bloody love Sweenz though, me). Finally, I was very pleased there was no booing on the bank at half time or full time, and there was lots of clapping after the final whistle, including from me.

The lads played well, they just came up against a stronger side who executed their gameplan perfectly on the night. We'll stay up comfortably. See you all at Lincoln.
Totally agree with your comments.
Sadly at one point a couple of people near where I was sat booed when Aimson went to pass across the defence and he clearly heard it and looked over. The defence did this numerous times but they picked on him. He had a reasonable game and fans should be getting behind the team.

Number13

Yep, excellent post

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Goals change games, I thought Derby’s first goal came after a strong and ambitious start from us and we could’ve easily been all square at 1-1 at H/T.
We conceded an early-ish goal 2nd half and with Derby’s quality the die was unfortunately cast with regards to the final result.
There are way more variables that feed into the final score of a football match than you think.
thanks for telling me what to think Tavy.

appreciated

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We couldn't really make it a physical game against them as they were bigger and stronger than us. In fact, they were physically the strongest team we've come up against this season, they looked more like a Premier League side in stature than L1. Our little team of half pint youngsters didn't really stand a chance.
you don’t need to be big to show intent or be aggressive. it’s a mind set not a body size.