• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Colchester United Matchday Thread

Red Bill

What you've described above is how you've interpreted a half volley. Not a volley. A volley is hitting a ball before a bounce, unless you're claiming every single shot ever hit throughout the course of history and every shot that ever will be hit in future in tennis is a volley? Or that most shots in football (excluding penalties and free kicks) are volleys merely because the ball is off the ground?
Obviously you're too lazy to read my post properly, as if you had you'd have seen I was attempting to relay what I'd read about the definition of a half volley through several different google search results, not simply giving an uninformed personal opinion. Of course it true that that's my interpretation of what I've read, but i'd suggest that any reading of a definition is merely someone's interpretation, as is your understanding.

Its also true that the definition of a volley that Log gave doesn't fit Jay's shot, but that doesn't make it fit the definitions of a half volley. Now if you can find a definition of a half volley that doesn't include "immediately" in its definition, I'd be interested to see it. Perhaps the strike was neither volley nor half volley, but simply a strike of the ball that's in the air, as you seem to believe was every shot hit throughout the course of history. Personally I'd say the majority of (kicked) shots I've seen in all the years have been watching football have been with the ball on the ground, but let's not let that get in the way of your weak attempt at patronisation!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bill. You and I know what a half- volley really is along with a couple of others. All logic points to us being correct, so let the doubters doubt.

Spoonz Red E

Grecian2K

A good explanation there Spoonz.
However, the Guardian's definition only applies when the ball comes in from the left wing.

IndoMike

Thanks Spoons

Bill and I rest our case. I hereby post the relevant extract :

A half-volley is hit at precisely the moment that the ball bounces or a split-second after, as with this effort from David Ginola or umpteen strikes from the king of the half-volley, Matthew Le Tissier (here we have exhibits A, B, C and D). With half-volleys it shouldn't matter whether the ball has bounced before it is then struck on the bounce, as with this famous half-volley from Gerrard or this deranged masterpiece from Tony Yeboah; the only defining characteristic is the point at which contact is made, not what has gone before.

A half-volley is hit at precisely the moment that the ball bounces or a split-second after, as with this effort from David Ginola or umpteen strikes from the king of the half-volley, Matthew Le Tissier (here we have exhibits A, B, C and D). With half-volleys it shouldn't matter whether the ball has bounced before it is then struck on the bounce, as with this famous half-volley from Gerrard or this deranged masterpiece from Tony Yeboah; the only defining characteristic is the point at which contact is made, not what has gone before.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
"the offside law, the bane of pepper pots up and down the land"

Fantastic ! (y) (y)

Antony Moxey

Obviously you're too lazy to read my post properly, as if you had you'd have seen I was attempting to relay what I'd read about the definition of a half volley through several different google search results, not simply giving an uninformed personal opinion. Of course it true that that's my interpretation of what I've read, but i'd suggest that any reading of a definition is merely someone's interpretation, as is your understanding.

Its also true that the definition of a volley that Log gave doesn't fit Jay's shot, but that doesn't make it fit the definitions of a half volley. Now if you can find a definition of a half volley that doesn't include "immediately" in its definition, I'd be interested to see it. Perhaps the strike was neither volley nor half volley, but simply a strike of the ball that's in the air, as you seem to believe was every shot hit throughout the course of history. Personally I'd say the majority of (kicked) shots I've seen in all the years have been watching football have been with the ball on the ground, but let's not let that get in the way of your weak attempt at patronisation!
So basically your first paragraph confirms what I'd written about what you'd written. As for 'weak attempts at patronisation', the irony of your post is delicious. Whatever, I'm not interested in half volleys, all I've said (all along) is that a volley is when you hit a ball that has not yet bounced. That's it. The 'every shot throughout history' was to do with you describing tennis shots.

PeteUSA

Morning boys! Where are we with some kind of conclusion as to what Matt Jay's goal was - volley or not?

Grecian2K

Morning boys! Where are we with some kind of conclusion as to what Matt Jay's goal was - volley or not?
As you'll see, the ExeWeb electorate are still irrevocably divided on that part of The Volley Referendum.

But, surely, you have to agree that, if he had only been a lot, lot taller, their glovesman should have saved it? ;)

manc grecian

Hate to say it but Moxey is right.