• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Carlisle Utd matchday thread

haka

Since the Bolton thrashing we've had a series of games where we had to pick up points to have any chance, and we've come in at about par, more or less. It will be a real scrap until the end of the season, but at least we're in the fight, along with 10 or more others.

"Must win" is an over-used phrase in football but this was. It doesn't make anyone a "happy clapper" for enjoying it.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Weird isn't it. Like they get more joy from some misplaced belief that it upsets other city supporters than joy from the win itself.
The weirdest of behaviour, to essentially interact with your own supporters as if they're Argyle fans wishing ill on the club

I've said it before - prove me wrong Gary, I'd love it. I will hold my hands up if he sustains a good run, I have nothing to gain from winning arguments with internet nerds.

Fair play to supernova though, probably already got the Kleenex out 😶

arthur

"An effective accomplished performance, one of the best I've seen for a long time. The manager deserves a lot of credit for the way he set the team up"

Pat Baldwin. Wtf does he know about football? It was another tedious, negative afternoon. Caldwell out..

Ex-ciderrr

We were ok and that was just about that, Carlisle the worst side we’ve played all season imo we didn’t even need to play that well to beat them this afternoon, strangely I was confident and always believed we would score today and glad we did enough to win the game, Caldwell does deserve some credit agreed, I hope we can kick on and make SJP a difficult place to come for opponents.

top 3 points this afternoon and for once leaving sjp on a Saturday pleased!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
"An effective accomplished performance, one of the best I've seen for a long time. The manager deserves a lot of credit for the way he set the team up"

Pat Baldwin. Wtf does he know about football? It was another tedious, negative afternoon. Caldwell out..
Not sure if you're post's sarcastic or not. Either way...

Baldwin and the main commentator clearly haven't watched much of us this season. They were waxing lyrical about how wonderful our possession play was, and just mentioned the lack of chances created as an afterthought. Frustrating to hear when that's been our issue for months.

Grecian Max

I'd agree with with him, it was probably our best performance in ages - partly because Carlisle gave us space to roam. That has to be part of the analysis surely, we were playing a very bad team who look like they are a L2 squad. Said as much after the win away from home and they've not improved.

However you can only beat what's in front of you and we deserved the win on balance I think. One of the main differences was shooting more often and capitalising on errors/spills that come from that - really want to see more of this. It's felt for months we're on search for the perfect goal, when sometimes getting it into the danger area earlier and testing the keeper can reap rewards. Certainly did today.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't want to be one of those I told you so w***ers (but I am one).. anyone still jealous of Carlisle getting Armstrong in very very early for what is probably a serious chunk of cash, somewhere south, but not too far south of half a mil + big wages?

yticretexe

4 at the back is a nice change just a shame it took 13 weeks. Aitchison my man of the match. Cox also good and Harris is an interesting 4 month late addition. Worked hard and won a couple headers in midfield as well - put himself about.

Does James Scott have a doctors note that says he can’t jump?

supernova

Just like how you cried every time we won under Tisdale from 2014 to 2018?
I definitely never wrote things like “if we need to lose again and again until GC gets sacked I’m all for it” or whatever some twot was writing the other day. If you’re going to interrogate my posts from ten years ago please do, weirdos

david61

Good to get first win of 2024 and with 21 games to go let's hope for many more...