• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Yeovil Town FC Matchday Thread

Shocking performance for the majority of the first half didnt really create much after the first 10 minutes when we had those 2 chances. Second half we started poor but for me Bauza totally changed the game. Sercombe was non existant, defence and Krysiak need to stop playing the ball around the back like they did because at times they played themselves into trouble.

Dunne had a game of 2 halfs for me, first half he was poor and second half I thought he was much better and really got stuck in. Yeovil were a nasty side which imo should have had players sent off.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Thanks FAN-TATIC ...

(P_F_E, I really wish you'd change your avatar. I keep reading your posts with the voice of Charles Kennedy rattling around my head :( )

Last edited:

Gin Trap

we still miss Oakley loads the team started to look settled and we were playing like we were last season when he was here, hope january could bring him back on loan or something

i dont think we played bad today at all there were some positive performances out there, result wise between the two sides it probably was a fair result.

credit to yeovil and all the other teams this season that have collected points off us at sjp in that matter because they seem to have come up with a formula of some kind that they set up to come to sjp to get points weather its 1 or 3 which in the last few seasons teams have struggled to do, they stop us from playing football, there big strong knock us about and rough us up abit, it unsettles us and stops us playing maybe this is why we are where we are in the table but we continue to try and play football all the time and get no rewards. maybe we should mix it up abit and play long? but thats not citys style.

good attendance aswell.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
For the last twenty minutes Rae we took the game to them. We played it in their half and forced them onto the back foot. Why we don't do this from the start, particularly when at home is beyond me.

The first half they did the same to us. The only glimmer for me was that IMO we were the fitter of the two sides. They appeared to run their selves out in the first half.

Summary: Two poor sides from the bottom six. On this form the league table does not lie.
Well, wemissfanny, I remember the cut throat remarks 6-10 games in when we agreed to disagree about the seasons outlook. We are now in a 6-7 way fight to NOT be in the bottom 4 but you know it makes sense. Our season will have a finale at home to Sheff Utd, so it is written, so shall it be done (but without Harley). It's little things that make the world tick!

Willy Nilly

Bauza suffering from the same nonsense that Harley used to, i.e. no blood and thunder tackling meaning he's declared as not trying/being up for it.

The service to him from the midfield, especially Dunne, was poor. I thought he acyually did a good job of using what he did receive with some clever flicks and passes. A less rusty Bauza might have tucked away that chance at the death.

A Slacker

we still miss Oakley loads the team started to look settled and we were playing like we were last season when he was here, hope january could bring him back on loan or something

i dont think we played bad today at all there were some positive performances out there, result wise between the two sides it probably was a fair result.

credit to yeovil and all the other teams this season that have collected points off us at sjp in that matter because they seem to have come up with a formula of some kind that they set up to come to sjp to get points weather its 1 or 3 which in the last few seasons teams have struggled to do, they stop us from playing football, there big strong knock us about and rough us up abit, it unsettles us and stops us playing maybe this is why we are where we are in the table but we continue to try and play football all the time and get no rewards. maybe we should mix it up abit and play long? but thats not citys style.

good attendance aswell.
I'd agree with most of this. I do believe that this game will give the players more self belief and could be a starting point. The last 20 mins were exciting and it was the best atmosphere in the ground for some time (compared to the dire atmosphere in the first half).

In the first half Yeovil gave us no time and harried and hassled us all over the park. Whenever we had a throw in we invariably lost possession because of the pressure put on our players. We therefore tended to try and get the ball forward quickly and usually lost possession. The midfield were anonymous and unavailable.

For whatever reason Yeovil played a completely different game in the second half and sat right back. We were able to pass the ball around much more effectively, Noble was given acres of space and he was able to get Golbourne and Tully more involved in the game (Tully's crossing was dire). Bauza was dire for the first 15 mins or so that he was on the pitch but then settled down and he and Logie had an extremely effective last 20 mins. Both held the ball up well and created a number of opportunities (which we abysmally failed to take). The goal was well created and it was great to see the crowd so animated.

As Gin Trap said Yeovil really seemed to tire towards the end whilst we were throwing everything at them. I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of niggle that helped the atmosphere and the City players. How their lad who made the disgraceful tackle in front of the Stagecoach stayed on the pitch was beyond me. He was at least two minutes late.

Many people as usual are dwelling on the negatives. I left today looking forward to the next game (which hasn't been the case for a while).

It was great to have Duffy back while I thought Golbourne also had a good game (he is such an underated player). The other positives for me were Logie (who I thought deservedly got MOM) and Bauza during the last 20 mins.

With only 600 Yeovil fans (how pathetic is that) I thought the attendance was excellent and really hope that some will be back in two weeks time to help lift the team.

Bittners a Legend

We were absolutely dismal in the first half, bar that first 5-10 minutes. It was as if the failure to score drained any confidence and we just failed to put anything together, gradually knocking more and more aimless balls sort of in the direction of Logan. Yeovil were equally dreadful and it was pretty clear that a goal was only going to emerge out of a mistake.

Noble's passing was up and down today but he certainly cannot be accused of not trying. He didn't shy away which is more than can be said for Sercombe who gave the impression of genuinely not wanting the ball. The end product of some of our players is so dreadful. Tully's cross when completely free was dire and I lost count of the number of terrible shots when we were in a position to develop the play.

Bauza came on and looked class indrips and drabs - certainly it appeared that our play linked a little better once he came on and Noble dropped a little deeper. Logan, for all I feel like he is surely not good enough, actually performed reasonably well and took his goal excellently.

Troy has come in for some stick, and I thought he struggled a bit, but despite that there were signs of a very mature performance. He organised the defence, and he looked to pick up Krysiak after the mistake. He also showed some neat skill to avoid giving Artur a dodgy pass back immediately after the goal.

We showed glimpses of being a decent side but we are carrying far too many out of form players and we were lucky that Yeovil were too poor a side to take advantage of our woeful first half display.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
To the two above:

1. We never played brilliantly when Oakley was here, we haven't done all season.

2. Goldie under rated? F*ck me he is awful and played terribly today.

A Slacker

To the two above:

1. We never played brilliantly when Oakley was here, we haven't done all season.

2. Goldie under rated? F*ck me he is awful and played terribly today.
1. When Oakley was here something changed and the team gelled more effectively and the balance seemed better.

2. Golbourne was not terrible today - he is an intelligent player who suffered from the lack of movement around him. What he was able to do, he did very well.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
How bad was that first half? Couldn't see us getting anything out of the game. I thought the "professionalism" of Yeovil's number 6 changed the game. Having gone off the pitch with his hamstring strain, Yeovil kicked the ball out and he came on to the pitch and collapsed. Cue outrage from the crowd and from the City players. By the time he'd got back to the bench we'd scored! So, thanks to Yeovil No. 6. *

Clearly no confidence in the team. Which was then not helped by poor passing, poor shooting and some poor decision making.

* Just for those not there.