• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Yeovil Town FC Matchday Thread

Grecian1966

Yeah right, disappeared for the "good period" of the second half, apart from two awful crosses. I don't say it about many players, but he's one I hope leaves in the summer, I just don't see what he brings to the team.
I've been a long term critic of Mr Noble. I decided to spend most of the game tracking him closely. The one thing I would say of him today was that without exception he made himself available and never hid. Dunne and Sercombe were absent without leave and largely anonomous for the whole game. Without Noble today our game would have ground to a halt while other players stood and watched. And i'm a self confessed disliker of Noble but today he put in a shift for the team.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
With our goal difference being the worst in League 1, you'd be forgiven for thinking the problem lies either with misfiring strikers or the disorganised defence, depending on your viewpoint.

Could be the main weakness lies elsewhere. The midfield is neither creating enough chances nor protecting the defence when it needs to.

In the engine room, The Nobbler, Sercs and Dunney just aren't currently working as a unit, and that's where the solution to the team's malfunctioning lies.

Alistair20000

I've been a long term critic of Mr Noble. I decided to spend most of the game tracking him closely. The one thing I would say of him today was that without exception he made himself available and never hid. Dunne and Sercombe were absent without leave and largely anonomous for the whole game. Without Noble today our game would have ground to a halt while other players stood and watched. And i'm a self confessed disliker of Noble but today he put in a shift for the team.
I tend to agree with you about Noble today Fred. I have seen him play much worse. I recall in particular one very brave sliding tackle over the Stagecoach side in the first half which showed commitment.

Tesco Bean Can

FFS city, 2 points dropped today for sure. In the final 20 we made all the running but why leave it so late?? Clueless performance from dunne and WHAT THE F*CK has happened to sercombe? He has zero composure and can't pass. Anyone who thinks we'll make money from him is deluded. I reckon those Chelsea scouts will be ******* themselves all the way back to London. Nardiello out of position so what a waste. Bauza looked like he couldn't be arsed when he first came on then realised he was there to play football and to his credit improved.

The plusses for me were logie in the final 30 mins and took his goal well. Also thought noble had one of his best games for a while. Overall not good enough against a bunch of over physical non entities like Yeovil. Oh and the ref was utter bobbins.

Grecian1987

Krysiak - Flapped at the cross for their goal, other than that not really tested other than as a makeshift sweeper (6)
Tully - Looks as shaky as he has done all season, putting in a couple of dire crosses, running 10 yards before giving away the ball. Not good enough. (5)
Duffy - Largely assured at the back though needs to improve communication with Troy and Artur. Decent passing. (7)
TAH - Poor by his standards. Bad distribution. (5)
Golbourne - Brain not engaged. (4)
Dunne - Headless. (4)
Sercombe - Anonymous. (4)
Noble - Did well to drive the team on when we were on the back foot, and made some good challenges. Not too much abuse from the fans today which says a lot! (7)
Taylor - Huffed and puffed in the first half without much to show for it. (5)
Logan - Caused trouble for Yeovil's defence and took his goal well. (8)
Nardiello - Got in some good positions but decision making was poor (6)
Subs:
Bauza - Rusty with misplaced passes when he first came on but grew into the game and assisted well for the goal. Unlucky not to score the winner but snatched at it a bit. (7)
Frear - No real impact (5)

I came away from the game disappointed we didn't win, disappointed at our performance for 70 minutes, and disappointed that it took some bad challenges from Yeovil to wake us up and finally start playing. The players were visibly shattered at the end but I feel that better decision making would have won it - too many shots were snatched at when we could have taken it closer to goal or put in somebody else who was in a better position. Never mind - onwards and upwards I guess.

Alistair20000

FFS city, 2 points dropped today for sure. In the final 20 we made all the running but why leave it so late?? Clueless performance from dunne and WHAT THE F*CK has happened to sercombe? He has zero composure and can't pass. Anyone who thinks we'll make money from him is deluded. I reckon those Chelsea scouts will be ******* themselves all the way back to London. Nardiello out of position so what a waste. Bauza looked like he couldn't be arsed when he first came on then realised he was there to play football and to his credit improved.

The plusses for me were logie in the final 30 mins and took his goal well. Also thought noble had one of his best games for a while. Overall not good enough against a bunch of over physical non entities like Yeovil. Oh and the ref was utter bobbins.
Agree with most of this except:

1) Bauza got little service when he first came on. I don't agree he couldn't be arsed.

2) Although I am a regular critic of poor standards from referees I did not see Mr Tanner get any big decisions wrong and he was reasonably consistent. I think he does have a tendency to be on the lenient side but I don't have a problem with that.

Until the twisted spirites rip our loyal, travelling faithful YET ANOTHER awayday opening down in the "basement area"? :(
Chesterfield have not won in the league since September 17 (15 games).

Got to be worth a tenner !

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Krysiak - Flapped at the cross for their goal, other than that not really tested other than as a makeshift sweeper (6)
Tully - Looks as shaky as he has done all season, putting in a couple of dire crosses, running 10 yards before giving away the ball. Not good enough. (5)
Duffy - Largely assured at the back though needs to improve communication with Troy and Artur. Decent passing. (7)
TAH - Poor by his standards. Bad distribution. (5)
Golbourne - Brain not engaged. (4)
Dunne - Headless. (4)
Sercombe - Anonymous. (4)
Noble - Did well to drive the team on when we were on the back foot, and made some good challenges. Not too much abuse from the fans today which says a lot! (7)
Taylor - Huffed and puffed in the first half without much to show for it. (5)
Logan - Caused trouble for Yeovil's defence and took his goal well. (8)
Nardiello - Got in some good positions but decision making was poor (6)
Subs:
Bauza - Rusty with misplaced passes when he first came on but grew into the game and assisted well for the goal. Unlucky not to score the winner but snatched at it a bit. (7)
Frear - No real impact (5)

I came away from the game disappointed we didn't win, disappointed at our performance for 70 minutes, and disappointed that it took some bad challenges from Yeovil to wake us up and finally start playing. The players were visibly shattered at the end but I feel that better decision making would have won it - too many shots were snatched at when we could have taken it closer to goal or put in somebody else who was in a better position. Never mind - onwards and upwards I guess.
Say what you like about our players, someone, somewhere will spot potential, get it for virtually nothing, coach that potential out of it's shell and give the finger to ECFC as we stand around mesmerised wondering what the fekk happened. "Kiss my arse boys!"

Gin Trap

Chesterfield have not won in the league since September 17 (15 games).

Got to be worth a tenner !
banker they`ll beat us then we`ve only won once away

FAN-TATIC

Just out of interest, the last twenty minutes sounded very positive on GP. I note some that were there have commented that that small period was better. Do you think that, just maybe, the corner is being turned and that little spark of energy can be grown into the next game?
For the last twenty minutes Rae we took the game to them. We played it in their half and forced them onto the back foot. Why we don't do this from the start, particularly when at home is beyond me.

The first half they did the same to us. The only glimmer for me was that IMO we were the fitter of the two sides. They appeared to run their selves out in the first half.

Summary: Two poor sides from the bottom six. On this form the league table does not lie.

Last edited: