• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Carlisle Utd Matchday thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
YouTube highlights

1. What a pass from Alex Hartridge after 18 seconds.
  2. Interesting that there are no protests from the Carlisle players about the sending-off; must have a fun coach journey back for Mellish.
  3. Nombe is definitely on-side for his goal. Jay is off-screen but appears to be on-side as well and would potentially have had a tap-in if the ball hadn't gone in already.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're not very good at closing games out. When we're on top MT starts bringing subs on and changing our shape and it just seems to disrupt us.
This was arguably the case against Oldham last week but the opposite was true yesterday as the subs came on and had a positive influence on the game and I would suggest the latter has happened more often than the former this season.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A article from the Sunday Mirror in 1970.

John Le Mesurier reminiscing 😁

His character in Dads Army was apparently not too far off his real self.

F89B38F7-5137-4EF3-BAF5-817B457B25D7.jpeg

tonykellowfan

Grounds was badly at fault for their goal. If you watch their breakaway for the goal, he makes no attempt to get back to the eventual goalscorer, very lazy.

STURTZ

1. What a pass from Alex Hartridge after 18 seconds.
  2. Interesting that there are no protests from the Carlisle players about the sending-off; must have a fun coach journey back for Mellish.
  3. Nombe is definitely on-side for his goal. Jay is off-screen but appears to be on-side as well and would potentially have had a tap-in if the ball hadn't gone in already.
Love the way Hartridge does those kind of stunned long balls with a lot of back spin so the ball sits up when it lands.

Nombe and Jay well on side for the goal but Nombe does tap his chest to say that it was his goal, which I tend to agree with.

Think their goalie is claiming that he was unsighted, which with Nombe onside is his own problem really.

Oldsmobile-88

A article from the Sunday Mirror in 1970.

John Le Mesurier reminiscing 😁

His character in Dads Army was apparently not too far off his real self.

View attachment 7392
🤣🤣🤣
Obviously on the wrong thread.

STURTZ

🤣🤣🤣
Obviously on the wrong thread.
Yeah, should have been the Liverpool v Exeter matchday thread! 😄

grecIAN Harris

Yes, it was clear we needed to freshen things up with some subs but Grounds was not the obvious choice to come on so I think it's fair to praise the manager when he gets something right.
It's not the first time Taylor has gone to Grounds when he has wanted to revert to three at the back and get a grip on the game.

STURTZ

Matt taylor is doing his best to rest up players during this busy period in the season but Hartridge and Sweeny are two players that seem to play every match. One day we will have to play Grounds and it's important to try and keep him match ready.

Last edited:

Memphis09

Carlisle might have been edging it but did absolutely nothing with that edge. We were poor but still untroubled. Hartridge was where he was supposed to be, Grounds let their goalscorer run straight past him. As for misplaced passes, only once were him and Sweeney not on the same page. As it is I’d have had Sweeney as MoM. Perhaps you were watching a different game because what you’ve written doesn’t match what I saw.
Definitely Sweeney was MOM for me
Someone came to the game today that has not seen Exeter this season and said that fullback was superb so that was an impartial point of view