• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Cambridge Official match day thread

budegrecian

What a great way to start the season. No, nothing is won or lost on the first day of a new season, but this was a great moral booster & keeps my optimism going at least for a while longer.
A win, at home, is always good, but setting the result aside for a minute, it was the fact that we went out from the start to win the game that pleased me; none of this 'building a performance' stuff. Previously we might have sat back on the early goal, but instead we went looking for more. More of that over the forthcoming season please.
This was also a victory against an effective physical team, the sort of team which we have struggled against over recent seasons, but defensively we were excellent. If Sweeney can stay fit & put in performances like that the RB slot isn't going to be the problem some of us perceived.
Tis clearly knew what to expect & got his tactics right; it wasn't the midfield I would have picked but the 3 of them worked well as a unit. Tillson certainly isn't an all round midfielder but he does that specific job well. Although he missed a really good chance, Lloyd James had a good game as did the ever dependable Jake Taylor. Like others, my only minor criticism of the tactics was the Harley swap for Macalinden.
The front three looked effective & Reuben has definitely shed some poundage.. Wheels terrified his marker into giving away a senseless penalty & Macalinden continues to improve. Is it me, or did we look particularly threatening from corners yesterday?
My only concern was that we appeared to drastically drop off in terms of fitness after 70 mins, possibly as a result of not having any intense pre season friendlies. Hopefully this will be rectified after a couple of games.
Also a special mention for the referee; the look he gave the Red Legion, in the second half, when they started singing 'you're not fit to referee' was fantastic & he won himself a, well deserved, round of applause.
Can't wait for Tuesday now.

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
360 highlites up and dam their getting good at those, 1st thoughts were, reidy wouldnt have got to that rebound IMO last season, so hopefully were gonna see a BIG season from him just hope he doesnt do the off in jan !!!! in general enuf pace there and brunt will be a handful when at 100%.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
360 highlites up and dam their getting good at those, 1st thoughts were, reidy wouldnt have got to that rebound IMO last season, so hopefully were gonna see a BIG season from him just hope he doesnt do the off in jan !!!! in general enuf pace there and brunt will be a handful when at 100%.
Brunt hasn't been 100% for the best part of two seasons....you might have to wait a....while.

Red Bill

Not sure why people are writing off Holmes and Harley after being left out of one match. Tis uses a squad, they'll hopefully play a big part in the 50+ matches to come. Yes though, Harley needs to play as a an attacking central mid, otherwise put someone else on.

wouldn't be at all surprised if both started on Tuesday or Saturday. Tis won't be playing the same side for 3 matches in a week.
Not sure anyone is writing them off. Simply saying that Harley is and in my opinion always has been very ineffectual when played wide left as opposed to centrally. And if Holmes was fit enough for the bench he would have been a more apt and effective replacement for McAlinden.

Last edited:

Pobbop

Not sure anyone is writing them off. Simply saying that Harley is and in my opinion always has been very ineffectual when played wide left as opposed to centrally. And if Holmes was fit enough for the bench he would have been a more apt and effective replacement for McAlinden.
Some seemed to be talking about their careers for Exeter being over. In the end it's one game they didn't start, when Tis clearly wanted to be more physical in approach, hence Tilsson playing. We've neen bu;;ied in these type of matches before, and so it's good we've got a different approach.

Yes, Harley is better in the middle, and I'm sure he'll play a part this season from there.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Must have been the OG as I'm sure they said that we were playing from right to left towards the Big Bank in the second half.
Looking at the 360 they may have had a slightly better view than normal as one shot showed one of the press with his laptop a few rows in front of the press box. One advantage now it's free of supporters.

IndoMike

The usual level of ignorance on Exeweb.
Exemplified by a poster who wrote off an Exeter City forward who went on to play in the Premier League. Sigh.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 view. Glad to see they are being kept going

[video=youtube;PfLk3cHS5Eg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLk3cHS5Eg[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLk3cHS5Eg

Last edited:

LDNGrecian

I feel the reason he brought Harley on for mcAlinden was that we had just got through maybe a 10 minute spell where were struggling to keep hold of the ball. Wheeler and McAlinden are both very direct players who like to dribble but it just wasn't working out. Harley although 'quiet' to some peoples standards kept the ball well and we had more of a spell of possession. You can't blame him for the entire time then dropping deeper in the last 15 minutes. We even went to a back 5 when Brunt came on!

Special mention to Troy Brown who was fantastic in the air. Ran Sweeney close in my mind for MOM.

PeteUSA

Looking at the 360 review, that penalty was a tough call against Cambridge. Their defender appears to be taking a fair old shoving as the ball was coming over. He raises both arms to alert the ref as to whats going on, and is unlucky that the cross ball struck his hand! And he loses out on any debate!