• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Doh! Even Torquay's New Ground is better than our redevelopment

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm probably being thick but why is the football club even involved in this? Why doesn't the developer just say to the council that they'll pay for a 4G pitch and few other bits and pieces that the community can use and the football club can stay where it is? Or are they going to build a nice running track around the pitch or summat?

Rog H K

Can't go Matford. Council told us we couldn't go there as swans we nesting. Then a few months later Makro moved in.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't go Matford. Council told us we couldn't go there as swans we nesting. Then a few months later Makro moved in.
Matford is allocated for employment use in the Local Plan.

Rog H K

And Exeter City don't employ over 100 people ??????

Grecian2K

Are we talking quantity here, or preferred age? ;)

Nevertheless, I do have admire TCFC's ambition in this.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you make that point to the Council? We don't employ that many on a fulltime basis anyway- it's the full time equivalent that counts, and the players wouldn't train at Matford.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
The developers approached Torquay and also asked to be put in touch with the Council, presumably because they thought that Torquay were sitting on a valuable asset. According to a poster on their fans forum Torquay hold a lease on the ground with 65 years remaining, whilst the rent is only £15,000pa. The length of that lease at that level of rent is a valuable asset for Torquay, so, in order for Torquay to surrender the lease I would think that they had to have been made a decent offer by the developer, i.e, building the new ground and giving them the freehold.

I suspect that the offer to Torquay could be made on the basis that the Council sells the reclaimed unencumbered freehold of Plainmoor to the developer. The Council then receives the government grant for building additional housing – certainly worth several million. Alternatively the developer says to the Council that they’ve got Torquay out of Plainmoor (the Council might want it for another use) and they expect the Council as a quid pro quo to sell them reasonably priced alternative land complete with planning permission

iscalad

Plainmoor is reserved for sporting services. Developer wants council land around Torbay, is my understanding.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plainmoor is reserved for sporting services. Developer wants council land around Torbay, is my understanding.
If Torquay are given an alternative site then I could well see the Council changing that use to housing - the ground is mostly surrounded by housing.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The BBC site gives a slightly different slant http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35482940 Although the council could change the land to housing easily I suspect that they wouldn't, that part of the town is already over developed

I hardly call a 6000 person capacity stadium a triumph though