• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do a Yeovil

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
One season in the Championship....YES PLEASE
So true. Visits to Middlesbrough Sunderland, Newcastle, Leeds (again), Cardiff, Ipswich, Blackburn, Derby, etc. We deserve it!

ForeverECFC

It's something that's never been done before in our history, surprised to see how many would settle for continuity

Red Bill

Yes I'd go for a season in the championship, even if we were back in L2 in two years. We're in L2 now, so whats the difference. You can't compare us to Derby, they have a proud history and have spent plenty of time in the top flight, that kind of season would be far more embarrassing for them. As long as we didn't do anything silly financially to try to stay there, and stuck to our overall principals, I'd take a year in the championship for the first time in our history all day long. This season I've been to Anfield and the Stadium of Light, I saw us ship nine goals in those two games, but I enjoyed every second of them, the opportunity to do that every other week for a season, yes please!!!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I'd go for a season in the championship, even if we were back in L2 in two years. We're in L2 now, so whats the difference.
The OP was quite clear however in stating about us staying in L1 as opposed to "doing a Yeovil".

Red Bill

The OP was quite clear however in stating about us staying in L1 as opposed to "doing a Yeovil".
So it was, I'd forgotten that bit. I'd still go for it though!

If we break it down and were indeed still in league one, surely our ultimate goal would be to finish as high as possible, which is of course first, so if we're saying that doing that and getting promoted would have the inevitable consequences of being succeeded by two relegations which we would consider to be an unacceptable risk, our only course of action would be to ensure we never reached the top 7 and therefore never risked promotion. Unless we take the Yoevil case quite literally and assume the fall from the championship would lead us to the brink of financial ruin and relegation to the conference, surely no one would want to see us half heartedly competing in L1 for fear of getting promoted. At the end of the day I want us to get out of L2 and challenge as high as we can, but its not a disaster being where we currently are, and were we in L1 its a risk I'd happily take for the chance of a season in the championship.

The OP talked about 'doing a Yoevil', not being Yoevil. I'd like to think we'd be more responsible given the opportunity.