• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do a Yeovil

ForeverECFC

Thought about this before, Whether or not I would take the rise and fall of Yeovil in consecutive seasons at Exeter.

Let's imagine we never got relegated from League One and were about to begin our 8th consecutive season in League One next season (Same as Yeovil)

Who would take A League One play off final win and A single season in the Championship in return for back to back relegation's back to League Two and another poor 3rd season in League Two? As opposed to simply remaining in League One

My answer is a definite yes.

The experience of getting promoted to the Championship for the first time in our history and playing a whole host of former Premiership clubs would be worth it even if we went down that same season and the season after.

Thoughts?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Thought about this before, Whether or not I would take the rise and fall of Yeovil in consecutive seasons at Exeter.

Let's imagine we never got relegated from League One and were about to begin our 8th consecutive season in League One next season (Same as Yeovil)

Who would take A League One play off final win and A single season in the Championship in return for back to back relegation's back to League Two and another poor 3rd season in League Two? As opposed to simply remaining in League One

The experience of getting promoted to the Championship for the first time in our history and playing a whole host of former Premiership clubs would be worth it even if we went down that same season and the season after.

Thoughts?
If it meant doing what Yeovil have done off the pitch (hence their drift towards almost three successive relegations) then no. We have a fantastic youth set up, I wouldn't sacrifice it currently for all the tea in China.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster

Thoughts?
I can remember a few years back some Derby fans being interviewed on MOTD during that season when they were spectacularly bottom of the premiership. They said losing every game was unutterably grim and they wish they'd never been promoted. I think, in answer to your question, I'd settle for being healthy in League 1 with occasional cup runs and entertaining the odd ex premiership club which found itself in League One from time to time rather than your alternative scenario

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can remember a few years back some Derby fans being interviewed on MOTD during that season when they were spectacularly bottom of the premiership. They said losing every game was unutterably grim and they wish they'd never been promoted. I think, in answer to your question, I'd settle for being healthy in League 1 with occasional cup runs and entertaining the odd ex premiership club which found itself in League One from time to time rather than your alternative scenario
That would be the record-breaking 2007/8 season when they won only one game all season and had 11 points with a GD of -69.

Imagine Exeweb if that happened to us...

David Treharne

If it meant doing what Yeovil have done off the pitch (hence their drift towards almost three successive relegations) then no. We have a fantastic youth set up, I wouldn't sacrifice it currently for all the tea in China.
It might also be worth knowing that a group of Yeovil Supporters have been in touch and have held discussions with the Exeter Trust, and intend to launch the Yeovil Trust on May 1st. As an aside it might well be that some people who attend the game on Saturday might well get asked about the pros and cons of being Trust owned. That aside, their two major gripes with the current management appear to be (in no particular order) that they abandoned a Youth set-up which would have allowed them to feed their own squad, and secondly (and particularly when they were in the Championship) that they had no long term plan, and believe it or not, they consider that for all it's imperfections and deviations along the way, our Trust has given the Club a direction that has been consistent and a steadying influence. They want the same for their Club

sladie

Id love to get in the CCC, BUT to do a yeovil (using the loan system) or do an Argyle (offer wages that they couldnt afford) shows me that staying in Lg1 is better than selling the family jewels for one season of getting smashed each week

fred binneys head

My answer is definitely not, I also know a lot of derby fans and they are still embarrassed by that season even now, it's never left them (and not forgotten by the forest fans). It would be awful to be smashed every week, home and away.

That said, there's no way of knowing what's going to happen so I would want us to get promoted as quickly as possible and give it a go - Bournemouth and burton have proved you can overachieve and build on it - doesn't have to be like Yeovil.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

No. For me it would have to be relatively sustainable to be worth anything. We are nowhere near that yet.

Although they look safe now, Yeovil were toying with another possible relegation earlier in the season. It's really not worth it imo.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If we ever got into the championship it would net us a lot more tv money. We would probably sell a lot of season tickets and average six to seven thousand crowds. We should also be able to use the opportunity to bring in extra commercial income from sponsorship and push the hospitality to the max.

It would clearly be a struggle to survive at that level, but we should have the income to be able to increase whatever budget had got us out of league one without having to be silly or risk our future. Even if we were out of our depth and went back down straight away we should arrive back in league one in as strong if not stronger than the hypothetical promotion season. Yeovil clearly got things wrong, I don't see why a relegation from a season at a high level has to lead to a subsequent further drop.

If we ever had the chance it's a no brainer that we should be giving it a go imo.

iscalad

One season in the Championship....YES PLEASE