• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Deadline day predictions

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have thought a CM would have been a priority anyway?
I get the impression Matt feels he has a mix of players and development options for CM but the injuries are leaving us light at the moment.
He doesn't seem to be looking specifically for a new CM.
I could be misreading the situation.

Rosencrantz

When everyone says they want that creative midfielder, it seems to me that replacing Nicky Law often enters the conversation. Seeing as Nicky very rarely played in a centre midfield two, you would think that the four centre midfielders would generally be the ideal number for what is normally two spaces, one on the bench and one back up. We haven't really had a deep lying playmaker since the days of Grimes, Noble and Gill.

It's only the situation we are in now with various unavailability of CM's that is causing a problem. But as they mostly seem to be short term obviously Matt doesn't see a problem.

In the system we play, if we had Nicky Law, he would be competing with MJ for a position. Is it more getting in competition or back up for MJ that people want? Or another Gill/Noble kind of player which Matt obviously thinks Archie and maybe Dieng fills albeit in a different way, more Jake Taylor with a bit more on the ball.

i8cornwall

They can't afford him
Probably can now, maybe they don't want him now?

iscalad

Probably can now, maybe they don't want him now?
I was being sarcastic 😐😏

milts

When everyone says they want that creative midfielder, it seems to me that replacing Nicky Law often enters the conversation. Seeing as Nicky very rarely played in a centre midfield two, you would think that the four centre midfielders would generally be the ideal number for what is normally two spaces, one on the bench and one back up. We haven't really had a deep lying playmaker since the days of Grimes, Noble and Gill.

It's only the situation we are in now with various unavailability of CM's that is causing a problem. But as they mostly seem to be short term obviously Matt doesn't see a problem.

In the system we play, if we had Nicky Law, he would be competing with MJ for a position. Is it more getting in competition or back up for MJ that people want? Or another Gill/Noble kind of player which Matt obviously thinks Archie and maybe Dieng fills albeit in a different way, more Jake Taylor with a bit more on the ball.
I think we need a Gill/Noble type player in there. Kite, Nigel and Dieng are all relatively similar and neither are particularly creative.

People are suggesting Collins can do that job, and he might be able to, but last few seasons he’s played a similar role to the one being played by Kite now.

We need someone that can play more progressive passes forward. Not easy to find in L2 admittedly.

Grecian Max

I think we need a Gill/Noble type player in there. Kite, Nigel and Dieng are all relatively similar and neither are particularly creative.

People are suggesting Collins can do that job, and he might be able to, but last few seasons he’s played a similar role to the one being played by Kite now.

We need someone that can play more progressive passes forward. Not easy to find in L2 admittedly.
Nail on head for me.

Personally think Archie should be competing for Jay’s slot and not be hemmed in by being played further back anyway.

I didn’t expect Kite to be this good either… but again he’s all about energy and plays like a better Jake Taylor who can pass properly. Dieng actually gets forward a lot and seems like another box to box player.

denzel

Radio Devon interview he said we’re still working towards a couple, Dieng’s knock and Kite’s dismissal won’t change his thinking.
Kite will only be out for one game surely? It would be daft to sign someone because of that.

arthur

I'm sceptical about us signing another central midfielder. Much as it would be wonderful to get a genuinely creative midfielder at this late stage in the proceedings, I doubt whether we'd secure the services of anyone who's significantly better than what we have already. Collins , Dieng and Jay can all play in the advanced role, and Dieng, plus Harry Kite, can play further back . Nigel, when fit, is good cover and how far off is James Dodd? So we either sign someone so good that established players are dropped, or a journeyman midfielder who spends most of the season on the bench.

I also sometimes wonder whether there's a chance Key could develop into a central midfielder

ChardGrecian

Personally I don‘t want us to waste anymore money on over 30 has beens to fill the gaps. I would rather we weather the storm in midfield using our academy players to give them experience. What is the point of having a great academy if we don’t play them when needed. i would rather see Sonny Cox on the bench than Seymour who has been given his chance and not taken it.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we will probably bring in a CM On loan til January and a Striker if we can ship Seymour out on loan

Reactions: Ash