• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Deadline day predictions

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I take it that today is a day off from signing players?
Either that or a slow news day.

JCWhoosh

Tricky one for City. We are a selling club and need to put our youngsters in the shop window so have to rely on them playing in the 1st team. Do we want to sign players to hold these youngsters back or just have to trust in them and therfore continue on this never ending cycle of a decent league 2 home grown squad with money in the bank.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Tricky one for City. We are a selling club and need to put our youngsters in the shop window so have to rely on them playing in the 1st team. Do we want to sign players to hold these youngsters back or just have to trust in them and therfore continue on this never ending cycle of a decent league 2 home grown squad with money in the bank.
It's a balance that ultimately we haven't quite got right yet, but have been close. Crewe should be our model as they were able to keep their youngsters together long enough to get them promoted from league Two and then were able to keep them for an additional year in League one to consolidate. Unfortunately for them, they have now lost the majority of that group and will probably struggle this season.

For us having the right quality experienced players does also help the development of our youngsters both on and off the field. Although he didn't play much in his time at City I heard Gary Warren was great with both Jordan Dyer and Hartridge.

Interesting that in the latest Devon Live article by Nick Hawker that he states that Matt Taylor has been given the best budget in his time with the club.
"It may not seem that interesting, but as examples, we have recently created bore holes to significantly reduce the cost of watering our pitches at both venues, we have purchased a big screen scoreboard that supporters will see erected soon, and Matt Taylor has his best playing budget during his time as manager".

Hopefully Matt this has some of that left over to still do some business in the next 48 hours but as we have seen this summer for whatever reason it hasn't been easy to get the signings over the line.

Fingers crossed.

grecIAN Harris

I take it that today is a day off from signing players?
Nope, Fleetwood, Ipswich and Oxford have all completed deals today.

STURTZ

I'll be happy with no new signings, just so long as we keep Josh Key.

If only the club had put Josh Key's mum in charge of recruitment this summer - that way every one would have been a 'Ma Key signing'.

Grecian2K

Nope, Fleetwood, Ipswich and Oxford have all completed deals today.
Who's he signed for then? Thought he'd dropped out of league football years ago.

Grecian Max

I agree with Ian re: MJ, I really like him as a player but, as I've said before, I don't think he has enough pace to play at upper league 1 / Championship level and they're the clubs who could afford him. I'm glad he hasn't though as it means we get to keep him - love MJ, me.
I agree too, he's one of those players that works in a club and a system for him. I think in a lot of places he'd end up being bypassed a lot during the game.

Pete Martin (CTID)

If only the club had put Josh Key's mum in charge of recruitment this summer - that way every one would have been a 'Ma Key signing'.
🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈

grecIAN Harris

I'm just throwing this one out there, keep your eye on Scott Kashkett. He has been released by Wycombe so that he can join a new club.