• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Wheeler: I'm happy to stay at Exeter but owe my future serious consideration

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

oxford don

I will never forget the advice of my late grandfather at aged 17..."always try to play at the highest level you possibly can "

In that respect Wheeler should look to move up and rightly so...a footballers career is short..10 years playing at an optimum level of form if they are lucky and remain injury free.

He's what 25? He can always comfort himself in knowing that he can come back in 15 years time and Tis will still pick him :D

Last edited:

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He can do what he likes.

It would be nice if he showed a bit of loyalty to the club who gave him his chance in professional football and ensured that we can make some money off of him but I understand that's bias on my behalf and realise that it never happens in football.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
The fact that he's prepared to discuss the pros and cons of signing a new contract with the supporters is refreshing. Usually we just hear that so and so has left on a free as he refused to sign a contract back in January.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Seems a likeable bloke & without doubt one of our best players

For his career he should move on - we're going nowhere quickly.

Stuart Storer's Tache

The fact that he's prepared to discuss the pros and cons of signing a new contract with the supporters is refreshing. Usually we just hear that so and so has left on a free as he refused to sign a contract back in January.
Agreed, refreshing amount of honesty from him. Sounds like he's holding out for L1 either now or the end of the season. Oxford or Bristol Rovers would suit him if they went up.

As his column proves he's no idiot and knows signing a new contract does him no favours

denzil

Of course David Wheeler would not be saying this IF THE CLUB REALLY DID PULL THEIR FINGERS OUT AND SHOW SOME REAL AMBITION AT PROMOTION. Forgetting the FA Cup does our form since early (?) December show a real desire to get out of League 2 ??

Morrison, Matt (I could play till I'm 40) Oakley, Danny Butterfield, Arron Davies, McAllister, Woodman don't fill me with excitement so how does it influence the likes of Wheeler and Nicols and whether it's worth their time and effort being at City. The only 'signal' may be the signing of Jayden Stockley.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course David Wheeler would not be saying this IF THE CLUB REALLY DID PULL THEIR FINGERS OUT AND SHOW SOME REAL AMBITION AT PROMOTION. Forgetting the FA Cup does our form since early (?) December show a real desire to get out of League 2 ??

Morrison, Matt (I could play till I'm 40) Oakley, Danny Butterfield, Arron Davies, McAllister, Woodman don't fill me with excitement so how does it influence the likes of Wheeler and Nicols and whether it's worth their time and effort being at City. The only 'signal' may be the signing of Jayden Stockley.
Very valid point.

If we were 'in and around'* the playoff mix I wouldn't be surprised if we secured the signatures of Nichols and Wheeler.

*Copywright Andy Townsend

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very valid point.

If we were 'in and around'* the playoff mix I wouldn't be surprised if we secured the signatures of Nichols and Wheeler.

*Copywright Andy Townsend
This is a double edged sword in fact.

When we end up in and around promotion zones, our better players are taken more seriously by other clubs and are often offered bigger sums to explore new pastures. And leave.

As I have said elsewhere, we should set out an intent with the money gained from this cup run and at least offer Wheeler and Nichols bigger contracts than we usually do, even if they don't accept them. I don't agree that their careers can only be improved by moving on. In a financial sense they might make more money in the short term, but they need to choose their new clubs carefully in order to make sure they get first team football and are given a chance to settle. The one thing most players hate more than anything is not being selected, although Nichols not having been picked last night to start suggests his deal is already done with someone, and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about that in the next few days.

dontpassback

Any person with ambition will always strive to to be at the top level of whatever career they are in and sportsmen are no different.I like wheeler and would like him to stay,but if he moves on I wish him well and hope that we can recruit someone decent to replace him.