• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Wheeler: I'm happy to stay at Exeter but owe my future serious consideration

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems a likeable bloke & without doubt one of our best players

For his career he should move on - we're going nowhere quickly.
Agreed.

When we finally win a league game the opposing manager is fired in the morning. Says it all.

EGTE

We are 6 points short of the play-offs. I'd say that was "in and around" wouldn't you?

denzil

"..................but if he moves on I wish him well and hope that we can recruit someone decent to replace him".

As long as he/they is/are NOT "over the hill" and not knackered old has beens. Stockley's a start but will he stay beyond May ?

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are 6 points short of the play-offs. I'd say that was "in and around" wouldn't you?
Yeah right, remind me: how many seasons since we genuinely challenged for the play-offs?

Although to be honest, if you give Tisdale long enough, eventually he gets in right, such as nine attempts at reaching beyond the FA Cup 3rd round.

The last team we beat in the League sacked their manager afterwards...

Last edited:

GRECIAN_LDN

Absolutely agree with what Wheeler has written here. At the end of the day football is his job and he wants to be successful. If he feels that his best chance of this is with another club then that's entirely his decision. Exeter City currently pay his wages until the end of his contract and he has every right to consider his options for the future. It's not often you hear a footballer talking so openly and honestly about contractual discussions, there's no hidden agenda, fair play.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
The last team we beat in the League sacked their manager afterwards...
I hope for your sake that this is a facetious comment rather than an attempt at a serious one.

dontpassback

"..................but if he moves on I wish him well and hope that we can recruit someone decent to replace him".

As long as he/they is/are NOT "over the hill" and not knackered old has beens. Stockley's a start but will he stay beyond May ?
That is a very valid point !

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Not really at this stage. One league win since late November. Inferior goal difference and teams above with a game or more in hand.

A good month of form and there is still time but to hit our pre season target mentioned by Tisdale in the fans forum of 74 points we need two points per game from here on in. If our injury troubles continue then failing to reach 74 would have some mitigating circumstances but we have a better squad this season so would certainly expect to beat last seasons 64 before the final day to consider our league campaign a competitive one.

Daveupnorff

Read his weekly article this morning really rational well reasoned and honest interpretation of his current situation. For those who say he should show loyalty, for how long until he has repaid the perceived debt. If City had showed loyalty to him they would have agreed a much longer contract but that's unrealistic. I hope he stays a while yet but if he gets an opportunity to advance himself and play at a higher level good luck to him after all that's how he arrived at City in the first place

Colesman Ballz

Wycombe are in 7th place on 40pts with a game in hand over us, Accrington 6th on 42pts with 3 games in hand.
The other play-off spots are occupied by Portsmouth, 44pts, one game in hand, and Bristol Rvrs 46pts, played one game more than us. Their goal differences are +7,+14,+22, and +11 respectively.

We have 34pts and a goal difference of -4, so I would suggest that is no quite as near as you would have us believe !