• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cult Hero

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't really let this thread pass without a nomination for Stuart Storer - largely on account of his impressive facial foliage!

Probably a cult hero at Brighton, who we sold him to for £15k in March 1995. Reason being that he scored the goal in the final match of one season to secure their status in the Football League. I seem to recall that it may have been the last goal at the Goldstone Ground too. The last I heard is that he was manager at Bedworth Town in 2015.

grecIAN Harris

Why thank you! Reading this thread has got me thinking that the Cult Hero is almost a dying breed. City had plenty in my formative years watching them in the mid 90s and you could make a case for others well into the 00s. Would be hard pushed to name many now. Clint has been mentioned, Harley perhaps and possibly Ribiero

90s

Flack
Braithwaite
Nicky Medlin
Russel Coughlin
Danny Bailey
Jason Rees
Mickey Ross
Chris Fry
Dazza
Gary Alexander
Barry McConnell

00s

Santos
Gareth Sheldon
Kevin Miller
Arjan Van Heusden
Christian Roberts
Logie
Tulls
Rob Edwards
Lee Elam - ok I'm scraping the barrell a bit now
I've got to disagree with the 'cult' part for these. They were heroes. Proper bonifide heroes.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amusing that some people have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the word 'cult' means and are just concentrating on the word 'hero'.
To be fair the OP itself states the qualification as "Exeter's most popular footballer" athough has since gone on to clear up any confusion.

Antony Moxey

Already retracted following someone else posting the same question earlier. Depends on your definition of cult hero, but I get that the OP is more looking for someone who flew under the radar rather than the obvious fan favourite. Hence why I followed up in a later post with Les Afful, which is admittedly an equally ridiculous choice for different reasons.
Yep, fair enough. I'd already hit send before I read your follow up post so it was too late to retract my own post.

My own nomination would be Richard Young.

Langer

The Don aka Don Goodman he used to give the ref hell!

Langer

Yep, fair enough. I'd already hit send before I read your follow up post so it was too late to retract my own post.

My own nomination would be Richard Young.
Did anyone find out his whereabouts ?

PeteUSA

If that's true of Stanno then how is he a cult hero? Hero yes, but where does the cult bit come in?
I believe that Stanno is a true cult hero for various alternative reasons. He's already been selected by some quite rightly for his undying services as a player, with that 100% work rate and the never say die approach to the game that he had. I think the unexpected battle he embarked on at the peak of his career would surely qualify as a lesson to be learned by anyone inside or outside of football. Showing up at the training ground painfully thin and underweight - and training alone, yet doing his best to resume where he left off with the rest of the players. We know only too well that he ultimately lost that battle, but not without leaving a legacy for anyone else that encounters a similar situation to never give up. I hope I've got the courage he had if I get a sinister diagnosis such as his one day.

Definitely a slightly different cult hero, but cult hero none-the-less IMHO.

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Showing up at the training ground painfully thin and underweight - and training alone, yet doing his best to resume where he left off with the rest of the players.
Good shout Pete.

Grecian2K

Ian Astbury? ;)

STURTZ

Johnny Wingate.