• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cult Hero

Grecian68

Danny O'Shea.

citizen

Tony Kellow of course.
FYI it`s the 5th Anniversary of his passing on 20th Feb.
City at home to Newport County.( He played for Newport in 1984/85 before rejoining City for his 3rd Spell!)
ello ello Tony Kellow ello!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
No goalkeepers yet! No mention of the legendary George Hunter?

George had an indirect influence on all the kids of the 50,s and early 60's who watched City. Quite apart from his athleticism, George had all of us with jumpers for goal posts, trying to kick a ball upfield like he did, when he would flick his standing leg outwards to gain more distance with the ball. Many keepers did that later, noteably Pat Jennings.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Johnny Wingate.
Ah Carthorse. He should have a nomination just for his awesome sideburns. How I wanted to grow some like that...

PeteUSA

Johnny Wingate.
I lived across the road from him in Addison Close when he was with City.

Colesman Ballz

I believe that Stanno is a true cult hero for various alternative reasons. He's already been selected by some quite rightly for his undying services as a player, with that 100% work rate and the never say die approach to the game that he had. I think the unexpected battle he embarked on at the peak of his career would surely qualify as a lesson to be learned by anyone inside or outside of football. Showing up at the training ground painfully thin and underweight - and training alone, yet doing his best to resume where he left off with the rest of the players. We know only too well that he ultimately lost that battle, but not without leaving a legacy for anyone else that encounters a similar situation to never give up. I hope I've got the courage he had if I get a sinister diagnosis such as his one day.

Definitely a slightly different cult hero, but cult hero none-the-less IMHO.
Amen to that ! That is a moving and excellent call Pete.

Colesman Ballz

Johnny Wingate.
Good shout Sturtz, he is the only player that I have witnessed scoring a goal by bursting the football ! For those who were not at Colchester's Layer Road to witness the spectacle, he hammered the ball from about 35 yards out, and from it's trajectory, it appeared that it would clear the crossbar by about fifteen feet, but then as it deflated it dipped over the keeper's head for a stunning goal !

dontpassback

Roy McDonough,always good for a punch up and sending off !

Avening Posse

No goalkeepers yet! No mention of the legendary George Hunter?

George had an indirect influence on all the kids of the 50,s and early 60's who watched City. Quite apart from his athleticism, George had all of us with jumpers for goal posts, trying to kick a ball upfield like he did, when he would flick his standing leg outwards to gain more distance with the ball. Many keepers did that later, noteably Pat Jennings.
I did enjoy Len Bond kicking the ball from about 6 yards as hard as he could straight into the argyle fans stood on the away end corner next to the old grandstand, got a huge cheer from the cow shed, top keeper too :)

geoffwp

As it's 'cult' hero I would have to go for the Flack Attack himself. Stanno is more than a cult hero, he is the complete club hero.

Last edited: