• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2020

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed. ECB have done well to promote the game at all levels, despite the Gov's best efforts. 'Vector of disease' and all that.

A shame more supporters weren't allowed to watch. Hard to see how you couldn't have had 2 or 3 thousand spread round Lords and distanced crowds in the group stages too.

Looks like the BWT has provided a template for the future with 3 conferences as opposed to 2 divisions. Some good out of bad.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed. ECB have done well to promote the game at all levels, despite the Gov's best efforts. 'Vector of disease' and all that.

A shame more supporters weren't allowed to watch. Hard to see how you couldn't have had 2 or 3 thousand spread round Lords and distanced crowds in the group stages too.

Looks like the BWT has provided a template for the future with 3 conferences as opposed to 2 divisions. Some good out of bad.
Not sure I'd agree with the conferences and final as opposed to the divisions. The strongest team after all the games are completed in the top division should be crowned. Particularly in a format (4 day) in which a draw cannot really be satisfactorily decided on the pitch, but is quite likely, unlike a one day game or T20 where a draw is unusual and a super over available.

Colesman Ballz

Not sure I'd agree with the conferences and final as opposed to the divisions. The strongest team after all the games are completed in the top division should be crowned. Particularly in a format (4 day) in which a draw cannot really be satisfactorily decided on the pitch, but is quite likely, unlike a one day game or T20 where a draw is unusual and a super over available.
A super over could have been a far more satisfactory way of resolving a tie.

Rosencrantz

It just seems a bit weird to have a final which can end up in one side batting for a draw for the best part of a day. I know that can often be a case in a normal Championship game, but a final? Seems a bit wrongheaded.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite agree with you. This season's format was the best they could do in the limited time available, but I don't like the thought of it being permanent. I don't think a county cricket "final" works.

Colesman Ballz said:
God, no!

Alistair20000

I agree Rosey. This format should be seen as a one off. Bin the conferences in the red ball game.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jack Leach and Craig Overton retain their ECB contracts.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lancs, Glos and Surrey all through to 2020 finals day on Saturday, with thumping wins.

Notts or Leics to joing them.

Forecast dire for Saturday though so not sure how much cricket will happen

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lancs, Glos and Surrey all through to 2020 finals day on Saturday, with thumping wins.

Notts or Leics to join them.

Forecast dire for Saturday though so not sure how much cricket will happen
I suggest nominating the winner by alphabetical order, RP. ;)

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Semi final draw

Surrey v Gloucs
Notts v Lancs

North v South final guaranteed

Notts scraped past Leics courtesy of 2 abysmal pieces of fielding in the last 7 balls that an u9 side would be embarrassed by.

Crazy to be talking about domestic cricket in October but good! Come on the 'Rey :)