• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2020

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
26 for 2!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
68-3 with Cook given out to what might be a poor decision from the umpire.

Is that the game changer ?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's it, then. Essex finish on 179 for 6. I knew we had no chance as soon as I realised it was possible to lose the trophy on a technicality.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry for you boys again.

The fact you got 97 points and Essex 90 on the group stage clearly irrelevant.

Why not play a timeless game, no-one is doing anything tomorrow.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The toss was a major factor, and we were on the back foot straight away. All in all, I think the boys did pretty well.

Rosencrantz

The first innings tie breaker was always going to allow the likelihood of today happening. Essex were able to decide very early to bat the day out. Hard to come up with a fair way of deciding who wins a draw though. I saw someone suggest net run rate based on both innings which might have made Essex go for the win.

Alistair20000

That's it, then. Essex finish on 179 for 6. I knew we had no chance as soon as I realised it was possible to lose the trophy on a technicality.
Nobody was complaining about the rules before the game Houndy.

Thought when the 4th and 5th wickets went down the Cidermen were in with a good chance but Essex dug in determinedly. Tendo especially given he is seen primarily as a white ball player.

The fact is Somerset only took 14 and not 20 wickets and did not do quite enough to win. It was a very good game though ebbing and flowing and the pitch did not deteriorate very much. Maybe Jack Leach should have bowled earlier today.

The main difference between the teams was Sir Alastair Cook who batted superbly and probably got a poor decision today. If Somerset had been able to play Babar it might have been different.

Plenty of positives with Green, Byrom and Lammonby emerging as very promising young batsmen. Craig Overton was again excellent with both bat and ball and seems to have put on a yard of pace. Gregory also bowled really well in this game.

Credit to the cricket Authorities for putting this tournament together and both teams for a fine match. It looked like no red ball cricket this year at one point.

Alistair20000

Sorry for you boys again.

The fact you got 97 points and Essex 90 on the group stage clearly irrelevant.

Why not play a timeless game, no-one is doing anything tomorrow.
Yes, points in the Group stages not relevant at all. As I have posted earlier I think we may have got a little bit carried away with Somerset’s demolition of some of the Central group teams but truth to tell it was a poor quality red ball group.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nobody was complaining about the rules before the game Houndy.
You miss my point, I think, Hastings!

Alistair20000

You miss my point, I think, Hastings!
Perhaps but I am struggling to understand the use of the word “technicality“