• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2020

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
All over and another win for Somerset. Northants lost their last six wickets for six runs. When you add that to losing their last five wickets for two runs in the first innings, their tail certainly remained unwagging. Contrasting with Somerset's recovery from 55-6 to 222 in the second innings thanks to some good biffing by the Overton boys and 52 put on for last wicket in the first innings by vd Merwe and Brooks and you have the game.
Somerset's lower order has probably been as good as anyone's in the last few years. Fortunately.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Somerset's lower order has probably been as good as anyone's in the last few years. Fortunately.
With a functioning top order Championship wins would have been assured.

Grecian2K

Perhaps this should be one the "little things that amuse you" thread but, having (finally) caught up with the highlights of yesterday's final day of the test that early "caught behind" decision against Root.

On watching the replay the ball was nearer the wide marking than the bat.

Whatever was the umpire thinking giving it out - surely he's the Huxtable, or Attwell, of cricketing officialdom.

Whilst I am at times dubious about the usefulness of the video review system on that occasion it more than vindicated it's adoption.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
20-year-old Somerset pace bowler Nathan Gilchrist is joining Kent. I know very little about the lad, so can't judge how serious a loss this might be.

Grecian2K

After the Ciderboys' demolition of Glamorgan in the first game of the season I saw it opined (I think it was on the BBC cricket site?) that the result demonstrated the huge gulf that had already opened up between Division 1 and 2 of the "new" regular format.

At the time i wasn't wholly convinced but, now, having seen the similar destruction of I am wondering whether this point of view actually has some validity.

Any thoughts from fellow cricket aficionados?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Northants were one of the teams that didn't want to play red ball cricket at all this season, and it shows!

Glamorgan have been pish at the 4 day stuff for eons.

Looks like Essex and Somerset are the two teams to beat, again.

Surrey struggling horribly altho the side is decimated by England bubbles and injuries. Had to borrow 2 players from elsewhere this week just to put a side out.

Colesman Ballz

Warks opt to bat first at Edgbaston, on a batting wicket only for the Cidermen to have them "back in the hutch" 123 all out after 45 overs. Great start !

Colesman Ballz

Warks opt to bat first at Edgbaston, on a batting wicket only for the Cidermen to have them "back in the hutch" 123 all out after 45 overs. Great start !
Oops, actually just 121 all out !

Rosencrantz

Tom Abell chipping in with 3-4 of 3.2 overs 😮.

Colesman Ballz

Somerset 24-0 (10 ov.) at tea.