• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why aren’t the still in place mask mandates on mainland Europe (or indeed other parts of the U.K.) making a difference to infection rates?
Probably because masks are not being worn / enforced plus social distancing has gone out the window.

You either go for soft controls or a lockdown - the choice is yours but I just hope that one of your family is not in one of the ambulances queuing outside A&E when they need the NHS most !

PS 50k excess deaths pa has a great effect on the economy, jobs and negatively effect our nations health and well-being

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably because masks are not being worn / enforced plus social distancing has gone out the window.

You either go for soft controls or a lockdown - the choice is yours but I just hope that one of your family is not in one of the ambulances queuing outside A&E when they need the NHS most !

PS 50k excess deaths pa has a great effect on the economy, jobs and negatively effect our nations health and well-being
I think you'll find in Europe that the wearing of masks is really enforced by Police, Government etc, You just can't go into any indoor spaces like a shop/restaurant/ cinema without wearing one plus showing a Covid passport. Over here it is different, We have taken a more "Relaxed" view on masks etc (So Far) but although our infection rates are high, Deaths are slightly lower averaging 125 pw according to the BBC.

This new variant, Time will tell but also please remember that the overwhelming majority of people in hospital and ICU's are unvaccinated people, 20% (One Fifth) are unvaccinated pregnant women. You need to look behind the hype (Fear) to get a clearer picture.

Oldsmobile-88

hospitals in SW have had ambulances parked outside waiting for patients to be admitted leading to over 24 hour waits for ambulances to reach new patients.
Unfortunately that has been happening since way before the pandemic.

Rosencrantz

Unfortunately that has been happening since way before the pandemic.
As a long time watcher of the Ambulance documentaries on BBC this is sadly true. They are routinely stretched at the best of times.

iscalad

Why aren’t the still in place mask mandates on mainland Europe (or indeed other parts of the U.K.) making a difference to infection rates?
How do you know they aren't. Infection rates could be much higher if people didn't wear them.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

What type of action are you suggesting and when are you (ie numbers of deaths and hospitalisations) suggesting that this action should kick in.
Forgive me, but it’s all a bit woolly.
Lockdowns/restrictions are more likely to wreck economies, lose jobs and effect negatively our nations health and well-being I’m afraid.
Tavy I have already answered this in post #368 which I have repeated here , if you want to respond to what I have written it's helpful to read my posts first!!

"The pessimistic side of me is thinking the new variant (as alluded to in post #104) maybe already here and could spreading like wild-fire as there are absolutely no restrictions in place!!!

In answer to Tavy's point I would be looking at having a lockdown at some point over Xmas to act as a circuit breaker , perhaps adding 2 weeks onto the school holidays.

I would also be insisting on compulsory mask wearing, no large public gatherings,( including football matches!) reintroducing bubbles, introduce severe limits on foreign travel /quarantining anyone who arrives in the UK and i would be reintroducing an effective track & trace.

For me the first duty of the government is the safety of its citizens and this overrides in extreme occasions personal liberty. We are at war with this virus
if we are to win then we need everyone to give up some of their freedoms for the greater good".

tavyred

On the deaths point, you don’t judge impact by using the crude and unnuanced figures that gets announced everyday by PHE, they are however a useful up to date guide as to where we are in the ongoing pandemic. All cause mortality excess deaths numbers will give us the true impact of Covid, not deaths within 28 days of a positive test. I read yesterday that tens of thousands of extra breast cancer cases have appeared, you can blame lockdowns for that unfortunately.
Just by coincidence I was at Derriford the other day as my dementia suffering Mum got taken there from her nursing home after a fall. It was very, very busy but only slightly busier than Treliske was back in 2018 when Mum went in after her initial stroke, while she was there a ‘black alert’ was called, so busy hospitals are not a COVID phenomenon.
There’s nothing in the numbers currently to say we should change tack that I can see. I’m prepared to nail my colours to the mast and say 200-250 daily WITH Covid deaths and anything less than 20K hospitalisations is a price we should pay to keep lockdowns off the table.

tavyred

Tavy I have already answered this in post #368 which I have repeated here , if you want to respond to what I have written it's helpful to read my posts first!!

"The pessimistic side of me is thinking the new variant (as alluded to in post #104) maybe already here and could spreading like wild-fire as there are absolutely no restrictions in place!!!

In answer to Tavy's point I would be looking at having a lockdown at some point over Xmas to act as a circuit breaker , perhaps adding 2 weeks onto the school holidays.

I would also be insisting on compulsory mask wearing, no large public gatherings,( including football matches!) reintroducing bubbles, introduce severe limits on foreign travel /quarantining anyone who arrives in the UK and i would be reintroducing an effective track & trace.

For me the first duty of the government is the safety of its citizens and this overrides in extreme occasions personal liberty. We are at war with this virus
if we are to win then we need everyone to give up some of their freedoms for the greater good".

You’ve still not given any numbers Suzi.

angelic upstart

It's all about hospital beds, every bed being taken by someone with covid, is a bed that someone else cannot use, nor the room/ward. This causes issues with getting operations completed in a timely manner.

No idea what the answer is, just a thought, like.

Alistair20000

Mr Omicron has rocked up in Brentwood and Nottingham.