• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Commercial Managers

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree

I agree up to a point. It was longed for when I was involved too, but it's different for us with a long history of Trust involvement. My concern is that the time may come when people start to think there's no point in my being a Trust member anymore and those who are not already members not bothering.

In the move to greater professionalism, we need to ensure that we take them with us.
I’m inclined to agree with both of you. Think Martin’s assessment of where the club is at right now is very fair, but Pete makes an excellent point - we must impress on people the very significant role the Trust has played in this and, moving forward, ensure we don’t allow it to be taken for granted.

I’m inclined to agree with both of you. Think Martin’s assessment of where the club is at right now is very fair, but Pete makes an excellent point - we must impress on people the very significant role the Trust has played in this and, moving forward, ensure we don’t allow it to be taken for granted.
The Trust has only completed 75% of the original ethos and they are pretty powerful. But the generating wealth element and generating income has not been tapped in terms of potential. Most people are members for priority for tickets. Only a handful of members attend meetings in the last 2 years. That is not good.

ExmouthMart

Pretty sure it is Nick Hawker.
Board of Directors:

Julian Tagg: Club President and Director of Football and External Affairs
Nick Hawker: Trust Board and Club Board Chairman
Clive Harrison: Director of Supporter Engagement
Andrew Rothwell: Director
Sue McQueenie: Director
Clive Bawden: Director
Jeremy Tipper: Director
Jonathan Hart: Director
John Street: Company Secretary

ExmouthMart

What is clear is that people have requested organisation charts and the active 'elected' Trustees on the Board have been diluted.

This is not a personal comment, but some people have accepted positions, which they might be well meaning, could act independently.

Added to that at the last Trust AGM an idea to generate wealth was voted down and advised against by the Board, and yet we have a non-elected director receiving renumeration for player rentals. Fair play to that person, but the Trust could be realising property income and also generate wealth for the Trust. In effect, that person receives significant income from the Club. The fourth pillar of the Trust was wealth creation from the original ethos - we know our host of the show wrote them. As yet, we have had no focus in this area. We now need to revisit that, now we have wealth in the Trust.

Less than 2/3 members of the Trust at meetings, it is no wonder we are in this position.

[Get your CFO job application in while you can there are only 11 days left to apply, we should have an appointment around Xmas with natural gardening leave for a great person - or is it a done deal?]
Why is this person using their position to make as you say ‘significant income‘ from the Club?! Going back to my old favourite OTR, Mr Tagg was quoted as saying no one makes not one penny from it. Why are people being allowed on the Club Board and being able to make money out of it?! Trust Members freely give their time and money for the sole purpose of helping our Club when it needs it. The Trust needs to be calling the shots. If you were being cynical you could say some people were waiting for The Trust to fizzle out and then take advantage of that. I’m a Trust Member but I don’t feel like I’m a part owner. It’s just a feel good thing to humour everyone.