• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2019

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
First game a week Wednesday at coaver club. Hoping my season lasts longer than 2 balls this year.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Given Chertsey's 2s are three divisions above us we did OK to restrict them to 195 off their 40, although we'd have been disappointed they got that many as they carted us a bit late on despite the very slow outfield.

In reply we started well, the 4th team VC getting us off to a good start before they turned the screw with some nagging accuracy. My opening partner got out and his replacement at 3, a youngster with good technique but zero confidence, wafted at about 20 successive deliveries. In desperation I had to snatch the strike and start hitting out only to hammer one back at the bowler for a c&b for 35. The next few bats couldn't get the ball off the square until G, the regular 2s Skip (delegated to his VC on Saturday) and our #8 feasted on a bit of buffet late on. G hit a boundary in the final over to take over from me as top scorer as we scored about 140-odd. All the time I was batting no sod would tell me what was going on at Forest Green.

The proper stuff starts this week.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm hoping King Matt will be too busy to play much this year! :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly my knock last week (plus some decent efforts in the field) impressed, as I'm still in the 2s for the start of the proper stuff against Cheam.

Sadly our 4s have had to concede the first match - possibly the start of a worrying trend as we had just four players left over after the first three XIs had selected. May get better later in the season once GCSEs and A Levels finish, fingers crossed.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Clearly my knock last week (plus some decent efforts in the field) impressed, as I'm still in the 2s for the start of the proper stuff against Cheam.

Sadly our 4s have had to concede the first match - possibly the start of a worrying trend as we had just four players left over after the first three XIs had selected. May get better later in the season once GCSEs and A Levels finish, fingers crossed.
In this day and age to try to run 4 teams is incredible we really struggle to run the 2 Xi's these days - changing times I'm afraid.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Played against chardstock yesterday and we threw it away - we restricted them to 185 which was about 50 short of a half decent target on an absolute road at sandford....

We was 110-3 chasing 186 before all of a sudden being 125-7 and game over....ending up coming abou 25 short....

I opened the bowling and took 2-23 off 9 straight overs - which wasn’t bad

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We also threw it away against Cheam - I've never known a dressing room as silent as ours was afterwards.

Bowling first, we restricted them to 133 on a deceptively slow pitch - I took a catch when someone skied a leading edge off a full toss to me at point.

We found out just how slow the pitch was when we batted, it was a proper gluepot, and they bowled better lengths than us. As a result a few of our top order threw their wickets away, and it was only when VC Harry joined me at the crease at about 40/4 that we looked like we could get back in it. I then perished as they brought on a spinner, trying to sweep over one on length that then took the off peg, out for a painstaking 22 and ending a partnership of around 40-odd.

When Harry was 7th out for a battling 46 the game was probably up and our 9, 10, Jack couldn't get us over the line, bowled out for 124. With probably 7 of us getting ourselves out, this made for a depressing atmosphere that only lightened once refreshment was taken.

Alistair20000

We also threw it away against Cheam - I've never known a dressing room as silent as ours was afterwards.

Bowling first, we restricted them to 133 on a deceptively slow pitch - I took a catch when someone skied a leading edge off a full toss to me at point.

We found out just how slow the pitch was when we batted, it was a proper gluepot, and they bowled better lengths than us. As a result a few of our top order threw their wickets away, and it was only when VC Harry joined me at the crease at about 40/4 that we looked like we could get back in it. I then perished as they brought on a spinner, trying to sweep over one on length that then took the off peg, out for a painstaking 22 and ending a partnership of around 40-odd.

When Harry was 7th out for a battling 46 the game was probably up and our 9, 10, Jack couldn't get us over the line, bowled out for 124. With probably 7 of us getting ourselves out, this made for a depressing atmosphere that only lightened once refreshment was taken.
Sounds like your bauys are not adept in the art of nudging and nurdling Jason.

I used to love a slow pitch !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like your bauys are not adept in the art of nudging and nurdling Jason.

I used to love a slow pitch !
Some aren't - although our cause wasn't helped by the contrast in point fielders. While ours was some lumbering oaf (albeit very agile when the ball was near him and took a decent enough catch), they had a chap who played for the side that won the Isthmian League this season. Quick doesn't begin to cover it.

Alistair20000

Some aren't - although our cause wasn't helped by the contrast in point fielders. While ours was some lumbering oaf (albeit very agile when the ball was near him and took a decent enough catch), they had a chap who played for the side that won the Isthmian League this season. Quick doesn't begin to cover it.
Do I spot some self criticism in here Jason or were you only temporarily at point ? :S :)

The adept practitioner of the noble art of nudging and nurdling works the ball into the spaces between the fielders rather than at them of course. One run partner.