• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2014

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Most embarrassing Cricketing day of my life. We weren't saved by the weather, and not only were we still very short of numbers, but a total of FOUR players were no-shows (one could only arrive at around 4 anyway). We batted, but were skittled out after 15 overs or so. I had no option at this point than to forfeit the fixture as we didn't have enough players at the ground to take the field.

Ten minutes later, of course, came the deluge that would have ended the match anyway. Grrrr.

I've said this week that if we don't get enough players out, we might as well pull out of the league (and potentially fold as a club). It's that serious now, sadly. If players can't be bothered to respond and turn up to play, I'm not wasting my effing time worrying about it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Fared slightly better this week - at least we completed the game! 4 dropouts and a dearth of replacements meant we took the field with just 8, and against a far younger and more talented Tower Hamlets side we struggled along to 69/7 (ao), but we battled gamely in the field, taking two wickets and but for a couple of fairly simple dropped catches we might have made a game of it.

Much more optimism in the camp though, with a large number of players returning to the fold in the coming weeks we'll hopefully be in a position of selecting rather than begging.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We're there this Saturday....gonna be horrendous - a lovely place to play on a nice day, hell on a windy, chilly one.

Mind you, after this football season, anything will be better than spending an afternoon at Plainmoor.

Looking forward to playing against you again this season Creds....knackered knees, dodgy back and arthritic fingers willing.

Watch your back foot son...;)
see you Saturday boy....

saying that the forecast is a shower.

jmgull

see you saturday boy....

Saying that the forecast is a shower.
ecfc 0 tufc 1 ;)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
:)

We've finally played a couple of matches with getting towards a full complement on the pitch (11 last week, would have been 11 this week but for a flat battery on the M3!), we might actually have a few players rather than bodies in coming weeks...

Pleasingly we had 4 teenagers on the field on Saturday with another keen to play too.

manc grecian

Got a game of 20/20 tonight. Looking to carry on my good form with the bat. A run an over 32&33 so far.

Alistair20000

Got a game of 20/20 tonight. Looking to carry on my good form with the bat. A run an over 32&33 so far.
A run an over in a 20/20 appears to fall in the feckin' dire category Manc :)

manc grecian

In my attempt to keep the scoreboard ticking over I ran myself out for a patient 17. Was just playing myself in as well.

CREDYGRECIAN

ecfc 0 tufc 1 ;)
fair one Manny me old boy....

CREDYGRECIAN

captaining a side is about as much fun as watching City play right now.

depressing.