• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2014

Leads

Shame that - i attended a why are players not playing course with the devon cricket board recently

cost , travel and length of game was the main reasons - example whe we play plympton first game away it will be a 10.30am leave and if the game goes the distance not back untill 8-9pm
Have they got any plans to change any of those factors? I know costs are pretty much down the the club, travel is hard to do anything about because of the size of Devon. I think the games should start earlier, half 12 or 1 (I think they start at half 12 in the prem) but lower down the leagues if you don't finish until almost 8 which is common by the time you have got changed, had a pint etc you're not getting back till about half 9 10 some games and for people with families and that it's quite a commitment.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Our overseas player on debut today scored 100 not out from 36 balls...

batting at 8 , he took 30 off the final over apparently.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
FIrst NDL game last sunday at a freezing instow - we got 210 off our 45 overs , they got them 7 down eith a couple overs to go

3* not out and 2-35 off 9 overs wy contribution
Instow - that's North Devon CC isn't it? My club's tour (I'm not going sadly) this summer will be taking in that delightful ground.

Anyway re: players dropping out and our drop to one side this year - as I said before the main reason for us is the awful league we're in. Every other week we find ourselves traipsing off to some hellhole park ground to take on a bunch of mates who gather together on a Saturday rather than a Cricket Club, changing in condemned facilities, playing on a park standard wicket, no tea facilities, no bar. Where's the fun in that?

The thing is, in our area there is plenty of thriving club stuff, the problem being that players are gravitating towards the thriving clubs due to the standard of opposition they offer. Richmond is running something like six Saturday and three Sunday sides, Twickenham similar despite their home ground being on a green, with all the problems that brings. We have the potential, ground-wise, to at least match Twickenham but while we're playing rubbish oppo and don't (yet) have a colts section we're stuffed.

Even my old club is struggling, despite having once upon a time arguably the best colts setup in the country (three times national U13 champs in the space of about five years, for example) - mainly because they can't hold on to their talent as they never got to the higher echelons of the county league and are now slumming it in our league (albeit a couple of divisions higher).

CREDYGRECIAN

Yeap North Devon fella , cracking ground right on the beach , the wicket is always a road there as well...batting paradise.

Alongside Sandford , Sidmouth one of the best grounds in the county.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
David Shepherd country. I remember seeing him at the ground once when Devon were playing a match up there. I think Somerset's Overton boys come from those parts, too.

CREDYGRECIAN

First game last week saw my charges lose by 1 wicket against Plympton , I was absent attending a wedding....

we scored 170 they got them 9 down with 2 balls to spare with 10 & 11 putting on 40 for the last wicket !

This week see's us go to Plymouth , the forecast is ****e. so hopefully its not gonna be a wasted journey.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately the weather is looking likely to save us this week. Despite going down to 1 team we are desperately struggling to get an XI out, not helped by Club Captain finding himself in hospital with a collapsed lung. Everyone else appears to have gone AWOL this week and/or injured (myself included although I'll play if I have to, a week earlier than my injured leg would like).

CREDYGRECIAN

Its a nightmare aint it , were really struggling to put sides out , we have 4 sides to put out this weekend , Saturday first and 2nd elevens and two sunday sides in the north devon league division 1 & 3 respectively

Currently for Saturday I have 8 players , its now Thursday and im off work hence why on here with a throat infection and feel awful and may miss out Saturday which takes us down to 7 - we only had 10 until 10.30 last Saturday morning.

School cricket is so frustrating , we have lots of lads play for us who go to Exeter School and Blundells and there playing cricket for there school on a Saturday instead of making themselves available for there club. its bloody frustrating.

Surely the school can arrange games during the fecking week when there supposed to be at school !

jmgull

Yeap North Devon fella , cracking ground right on the beach
We're there this Saturday....gonna be horrendous - a lovely place to play on a nice day, hell on a windy, chilly one.

Mind you, after this football season, anything will be better than spending an afternoon at Plainmoor.

Looking forward to playing against you again this season Creds....knackered knees, dodgy back and arthritic fingers willing.

Watch your back foot son...;)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Fingers crossed we're going to be saved by the weather. Our XI for tomorrow is still in single figures. Grrrr.