• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clear out?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do wonder if he will release 6 of the 7 out of contract players but offer a new deal to A Martin. I’d be fine with that.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's certainly seems to be honest and straightforward in interviews, but to me his actions are so often completely different to what he says.
That's your opinion, Mine is different, It is an open forum with lots of opinions. I never say anyone is perfect, It use to make me wince seeing they unfetted love for our former manager when it was obvious thing weren't going right. Just because someone replaced someone you thought a lot of doesn't mean he's rubbish, You have to give that person a chance and so far its been ok by me, Some things daft, Some things good, So disappointed about last night and it will be with me until we start again but MT gave an honest interview, Not a totally confusing one our former manager did. Next season MT will be under pressure more I'm sure of that and probably quite right too.

dommers

Just because someone replaced someone you thought a lot of doesn't mean he's rubbish, You have to give that person a chance and so far its been ok by me, Some things daft, Some things good, So disappointed about last night and it will be with me until we start again but MT gave an honest interview, Not a totally confusing one our former manager did.
If you think I think he's rubbish because a manager who I could relate to then you are so completely wrong.

I've given him a chance over the last 2 years although do not see many signs that he's developed as a manager in terms of man management and style, although would loved to be proved wrong. Giving an honest interview and making statements is easy. Putting into practice what you say you're going to do like 'going to attack this game of football' as he said about yesterday is so much harder

Langer

I wonder why we didn’t challenge for headers and kept letting them play ?? We need someone in the mould of Clive Whitehead he would of them to play or Buck off.

DB9

If you think I think he's rubbish because a manager who I could relate to then you are so completely wrong.

I've given him a chance over the last 2 years although do not see many signs that he's developed as a manager in terms of man management and style, although would loved to be proved wrong. Giving an honest interview and making statements is easy. Putting into practice what you say you're going to do like 'going to attack this game of football' as he said about yesterday is so much harder
We've gave our former manager nearly a decade but still he achieved the same as MT since our relegation from L1 (Getting to a play off final) People treated him like the second coming and anyone who did question his tactics were told to go and support someone else. MT was and is a breath of fresh air, Yesterday he made a tactical mistake, We know it and he knew it, Like Tisdale in his play off finals (Bar Cambridge) MT was out thought by the rival manager. Its as simple as that, Difference is even though i think MT is doing an ok job i'm will pull him up if he makes a mistake, Something we weren't "Allowed" to do on here with our former manager.

As for saying you've given him 2 yrs, You know that the club is trying the ethos of not panicking and giving people a chance, Compared to our last bloke, MT is still way behind that in time allowed.

i8cornwall

They have to be ready and good enough but I expect all the young pros bar the three new lads from the youth team to be part of the first team squad rather than going out on loan again unless it is short term as they are not getting match day squad time.

What will be important is the more senior players supporting them through games. I wouldn't think they will all be thrown into a starting eleven like Bolton had to. In the u23's and leasing.com games players like Woody, Gary Warren and Jordan Tillson were exemplary alongside the young lads. The first team players will have to be the same.
The Bolton comparison is a pretty good one here. Bolton didn’t have much choice but it was a case of playing 16/17 year olds which city clearly won’t need to do.

the only problem with playing the kids is they make mistakes which is fine but you have to allow for that and adjust expectations accordingly.

Bolton are in a transfer embargo, so it’s sort of needs must but that will change and I’d imagine we will take a more city approach before we start to splash the cash again.

Don't you listen. We've let Tisdale go and I'm talking about our current manager. If you're happy to support a manager who seems to have no plan B, wants more physical players, ingnore the youth and wastes money on players then feel free.
Christ almighty Tisdale had about 5 seasons to get us up...I think that was enough.

DB9

The Bolton comparison is a pretty good one here. Bolton didn’t have much choice but it was a case of playing 16/17 year olds which city clearly won’t need to do.

the only problem with playing the kids is they make mistakes which is fine but you have to allow for that and adjust expectations accordingly.

Bolton are in a transfer embargo, so it’s sort of needs must but that will change and I’d imagine we will take a more city approach before we start to splash the cash again.
I hope that Bolton do, the fans didn't deserve that season, It must have been heart breaking. I only used Bolton as an analogy because there is a fragility of "Playing the kids" To play the youngsters is a noble idea but up against seasoned L2 sloggers, It would be dam hard work if City had no option but use more than a couple in each team.

Grecianpasty

Is there anyone else who thinks A Martin is over rated?

Admittedly this was his best season for city. But a bog standard league Two player for me. No better, no worse. I'd be happy to see him leave.

Rosencrantz

Is there anyone else who thinks A Martin is over rated?

Admittedly this was his best season for city. But a bog standard league Two player for me. No better, no worse. I'd be happy to see him leave.
I think he was up there for player of the season as he looked to have overcome to some extent his weakness against the long ball and physical strikers but last night reverted to last season's version. He need a physical presence next to him like Parkes but he wasn't fit enough to start. I would rather see him stay but we need another strong arm defender in the squad to replace Warren who would have been handy if he was a few years younger.