• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Oxford Utd Matchday Thread

DawlishBouy

So if he is trailing his leg he is initiating the contact and therefore fouling Aimson not the other way around. One day referees will get wise to this.............. but probably not in my life time.
And yet not a single City player complained about the decision. If pro footballers don’t complain to the ref about a decision you can be absolutely certain he got it right.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Carroll got bigger up on Sky Sports. Our game was one of 5 being covered by a specific pundit - Tim Sherwood.

He said he had Carroll as a young kid at Spurs, he's playing well, too good for this level, ought to be in the Championship at least.
Ah Tim Sherwood, not biased at all 😂

red1

I like Sweeney BUT, yesterday showed his frailties at this level. His lack of speed is obvious and he should be playing RCH not in the middle. Maybe its time for Fitzwater to step up and Sweenz next season as a backup???

Bridgy 81

Carroll got bigger up on Sky Sports. Our game was one of 5 being covered by a specific pundit - Tim Sherwood.

He said he had Carroll as a young kid at Spurs, he's playing well, too good for this level, ought to be in the Championship at least.
It's an interesting one.
Carroll's had a fantastic career and has played the biggest part of it in The Premier League and Championship.
Maybe he's one of those types who are better in a better team?
Anyway, he's certainly dispelled any concerns about his fitness and durability.
I make it that this is the second most league games he's played in a single season (just behind one for Swansea in the top flight about 7 years ago).
Great credit to him for being prepared to slug it out with us and extend his career rather than potentially taking the easy option and calling it a day.

Mid Devon Grecian

Sweenz wasn't exposed, he dallied on the ball and got fcuked over royally because of it. He then got in the way of Jules as he hared back to dig him out of trouble.
Well I’d call that getting exposed.

Antony Moxey

Then I guess you’d be wrong. He had all day to play easy out balls yet tried to be clever and got robbed. That’s not being exposed, that’s just plain being stupid.

grecIAN Harris

[/QUOTE/]Getting exposed is when somebody cocks up in front of you and leaves you exposed or you have a weakness that the opposition plays on to expose you. Sweenz fcuked up in a situation he had no need to.

JW57++

So if he is trailing his leg he is initiating the contact and therefore fouling Aimson not the other way around. One day referees will get wise to this.............. but probably not in my life time.
I agree. So many penalties are actually initiated by clever footwork by the forwards. In the premiership VAR always seems to confirm these penalties because there was “clear contact”. The decisions often totally ignore who initiated the contact.

Mid Devon Grecian

Then I guess you’d be wrong. He had all day to play easy out balls yet tried to be clever and got robbed. That’s not being exposed, that’s just plain being stupid.
Semantics Moxey, he was exposed as not being capable of playing the centre half role competently.

JW57++

I think they were for a foul on Mitchell in the first game of the season at Wycombe and for a handball against Cheltenham at Easter.
So just the two penalty awards and none for us at home all season?
That seems a very poor return to me.
I appreciate the more time you’re in your opponent’s box the more chance you have of getting a penalty but it certainly seems to me that most clubs work on drawing fouls to win spot kicks.
Something to practice and improve on for next season I’d suggest.
I accept that the main reason for our lack of penalties is the fact that we rarely visit the penalty area, but refs seemed to be easily taken in by certain players and teams.