• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Oxford Utd Matchday Thread

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rankine and Alli have had great second halves.
Aitchison also made a big difference

denzel

Let's face it, as soon as Sweenz lost the ball it was 100% going to be a goal.

STURTZ

Why was Oxfords Harris so insulting to City fans after his goal? Had something been said?

Bridgy 81

I wonder if the odd change in our starting setup today was in anyway to shoehorn a starter from the Academy in?
I certainly hope not.
I think it’s an incredible record but I’d rather see it end gracefully than influence selection.

PeteUSA

He was never close enough to come all the way out to smother the player. When Sweenz lost the ball Vil retreated to his six yard box. Harris shot from just outside the 18 yard box. So if Vil had committed himself in the first instance instead of retreating, Harris would have chipped him, no doubt, so Vil would have sold himself down the river. The only thing he may possibly have done was come another stride or two out to try and narrow the angle for the shot but he was never, ever in any position to smother the player or shot but even then he leaves himself open to being chipped.
So I take it you're defending him Ian? His timing off of his line as that player came barrelling through looked okay at the outset, but once he stopped short instead of standing up to the player, all was lost, its an open goal.. None of the various stages in the play you bring into it rule out the fact that that was a poor effort by Sinisalo.

ryancooper327

Why was Oxfords Harris so insulting to City fans after his goal? Had something been said?
I thought the same. Seemed a tad unnecessary! Can understand Brannagan’s response after trying to distract him for the pen, but Harris was a bit left field.

grecIAN Harris

So I take it you're defending him Ian? His timing off of his line as that player came barrelling through looked okay at the outset, but once he stopped short instead of standing up to the player, all was lost, its an open goal.. None of the various stages in the play you bring into it rule out the fact that that was a poor effort by Sinisalo.
If he committed as you suggested he would have got chipped, waltzed around or, worse still, committed a foul and got sent off. He had no other realistic option other than to hold his ground and take his chances. Harris is a decent striker and in a one on one situation chances are he is going to come out on top.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if the odd change in our starting setup today was in anyway to shoehorn a starter from the Academy in?
I certainly hope not.
I think it’s an incredible record but I’d rather see it end gracefully than influence selection.
Funnily enough I had the same conversation with my lad as it appeared to me that Sonny had been added in order to try this 4-2-2-2 experiment. As soon as Sonny was sacrificed we looked balanced again. The acadamy record I would imagine will more than likely go within the first month of next season possibly even the first game. Only Chieck, Richards and Sonny will be around the matchday squad and I can't see any of them as regular starters

Grecian Max

I love it when players do that, which is a lot - they get awe struck by a proper terrace behind the goal and feel the need to celebrate in front of it

iscalad

Funnily enough I had the same conversation with my lad as it appeared to me that Sonny had been added in order to try this 4-2-2-2 experiment. As soon as Sonny was sacrificed we looked balanced again. The acadamy record I would imagine will more than likely go within the first month of next season possibly even the first game. Only Chieck, Richards and Sonny will be around the matchday squad and I can't see any of them as regular starters
Chieck picked up an ankle injury in training on Thursday.