• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City foundation meeting

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Aside from a very brief flurry of marketing activity at the outset, what was done to build up the membership of the City Foundation? I can't recall having ever received any literature about it.
The kicker Egg my friend is that you were on the BoS for most of that time, it was your job to make sure the club were doing their job, you owned the Club, they just work for it, that in an eggshell, I'll get me coat, is the problem.

pct333

I may be mistaken but my recollection is that the season-ticket offer only extended to people who signed up at the beginning. That being the case, there are, at a guess, 100 or so people who benefit from the season-ticket offer and that figure could never increase where as the number of people participating in the scheme could - but hasn't. :-(
As stated by my post 2 of this thread, Dennis Lee said at the meeting that those that joined before January 2010 ( 210 members ) also had their season ticket prices locked, supposedly for life.

As stated by DaveE on post 95 of this thread 'The savings this season were worth £150 for me, set against the £120 for the annual cost of participating.'

Eventually all the 210 initial members would benefit likewise, which is why the scheme needs to be changed or closed.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
As stated by my post 2 of this thread, Dennis Lee said at the meeting that those that joined before January 2010 ( 210 members ) also had their season ticket prices locked, supposedly for life.
Are you sure about this? The scheme was launched in 2007 and I'm 99.9 per cent certain the season-ticket offer only extended to people who joined at the very beginning. Certainly, that was how it was presented to the BoS.

Sought some clarification about this but am now even more confused by this article and, in particular, the date on it:

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/TheCityFoundation/0,,10436,00.html

Regardless, the problem is less the 200-odd people who are quids in courtesy of the Foundation and more the 1,800 other members who it was anticipated would join but didn't.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
I may be mistaken but my recollection is that the season-ticket offer only extended to people who signed up at the beginning. That being the case, there are, at a guess, 100 or so people who benefit from the season-ticket offer and that figure could never increase where as the number of people participating in the scheme could - but hasn't. :-(
From the mouths of Taggy and Denis - "There are 210 members with price-locked season tickets. 50 without. Only those members who joined the scheme since Jan 2010 could not be 'locked'. "

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems the goalposts were moved at some point:

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/staticFiles/28/15/0,,10436~136488,00.pdf

Don't know who came up with the 'Join before Christmas in any year and we'll freeze the price of your season ticket' incentive but - given that covers all but six days out of 365 - it may indicate the root of the problem.

angelic upstart

Whoever came up with the idea of freezing the season ticket prices should be out of a job.

Membership is limited to 2000 but there is seemingly only 260 members? Why do "they" not do more to promote it? As it stands, forgetting the season ticket freeze, they're bringing in 14,200 a year. Crockford brings in more from the 1931 fund, he does this as a sideline.

You couldn't make it up.

mammooman

I always thought one of the biggest problems it faced was it was again targetting the same small core crowd as it's audience. The same season ticket holders, the same regulars. I know I certainly don't want yet another direct debit coming out my account with the ever increasing costs of living. Season ticket price freeze or not.

We need to find ways to increase money and develop schemes that interest and involve not just the core ECFC support.

angelic upstart

We need to find ways to increase money and develop schemes that interest and involve not just the core ECFC support.
I agree, increasing the core support is an important aspect too.

Get out to the schools of Exeter and East Devon, take a few blocks of the Doble or OG and give children the opportunity to watch City with their school friends and some responsible adults to supervise them. Chuck em a scarf and a programme and for every 100 children watching you'll have a minimum of 5 that come back year on year for the rest of their days.

Have a campaign targetting premiership armchair fans along the lines of "Bored of watching your team on the TV? Wanna watch them in the flesh? Well come on down to SJP on a Saturday and your support means one day we could make the premier league and you'll be able to watch Liverpool Exeter. Of course by then you'll realise football isn't all about the preier league and by then you'll be a hardened City fan and be gutted we're in the top division, cos things aint gonna be the same anymore, but hey, just watch the fitba innit"

P.S. Fitba is a Scottish term for football and is a homage to our one time CEO Norrie Stewart who was a Scot. Nowadays we promise that your money will go straight into getting City up the table!

Or some other similar hairbrained scheme.

Parklife

Get out to the schools of Exeter and East Devon, take a few blocks of the Doble or OG and give children the opportunity to watch City with their school friends and some responsible adults to supervise them. Chuck em a scarf and a programme and for every 100 children watching you'll have a minimum of 5 that come back year on year for the rest of their days.
School kids fill up Block M of the Flybe these days. They get programmes, not sure about scarves. And of course there's all those kids who do the shoot out at half time. Could be one in the same as the M blockers of course but the club are trying to get the kids in.

Thames Valley Red

How about single parent families.............MK Dons have done a bomb in this market. Cheap activity for a mum and two kids?

UTC

TVR