• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham vs Exeter - Carabao Cup 1st round. Match day thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
From those highlights the outstanding moment was Sam Nombe turn8ng his marker inside out to set up Sparkes goal!

Amazing result, somehow makes losing to Torquay in a PSF less worrying, eh chums?
Indeed. There was a superb nutmeg in that too - the best individual moment of the game.Very clear from behind the goal - not so clear on the highlights, so I hope its captured on another angle.

Seem to remember we paid a smallish undisclosed fee with some kind of sell on clause. MK Dons had loaned him to Championship club Luton, I think, with an option for them to purchase. Seemingly it didn't go well there and possibly because of this Dons were happy to unload. Maybe City's style of play is more suited to his type of game, but would concur that at present he looks like he would be successful in the Championship.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The full match video is available on iFollow (not sure if it's just for those of us overseas); I watched some of the second half and he looked very comfortable on the ball, although I'd guess he will have bigger tests of his defensive ability.
also now available for UK subscribers to the annual ifollow package. Enjoy!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite saying yesterday that I didn't really care about this competition (this still stands) I don't think we should underestimate the achievement of a 7 nil victory against a team in our own division. Ok, Cheltenham made 7 changes from their league defeat on Saturday, but we made 5, an brought on a load of subs as well. Confidence should be booming.

budegrecian

So, at the same stage of the season last year, we hadn't managed to score a single goal from the first three games & Orient had put three past us. This season we've manged to score twelve & conceded just the one.
Not too shabby...

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

Mildly amusing vlog from one of their supporters.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just wished I could have been there instead of having to make ice cream yesterday lol. Seemingly we play better without Jevani and Matt will have taken huge joy from us playing so creatively without him on the pitch. Massive big up to Scott Brown who is a huge credit to our club. Harry Kite looks like dynamite currently but what can you say about Sam Nombe except we will have to enjoy him whilst we can because if he stays fit he will score 20 goals + this season and secure the club a hefty transfer fee. Both his goals were masterclasses in heading, movement and finishing and he looks like the type of target man that would be comfortable at Championship level
Is Sam the best all-round striker we've had in recent times? We've had better finishers and players who were better in the air but I can't remember anybody who has been big, fast, strong and can both score and set up goals.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is Sam the best all-round striker we've had in recent times? We've had better finishers and players who were better in the air but I can't remember anybody who has been big, fast, strong and can both score and set up goals.
Was thinking this after the Port Vale game, I'd say yes in terms of having everything.

tonykellowfan

Stockley?

Gotta say, after seeing the last two games all the players look incredibly fit. kudos to the trainers, staff and players for getting them in excellent shape. Jack Sparkes physique looks completely different than a couple of seasons ago. Great results. Attendance will be up for the next few games as an influx of scouts will be hammering at the doors :D