• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just to give you an idea about the views of Cheltenham fans, here is a WhatsApp message I received from a Robins fan (a business colleague of mine here in Cheltenham)

""Chris... I am absolutely fuming about that second half, and it has taken me this long to look at my phone.

That was the most incompetent and biased referee that I have experienced since watching an Under 10 game with Ben playing 20+ years ago... on that occasion, half the parents took our players off the pitch at half time and took them home.I really hope today's referee takes time to watch the video of the match back and realises how bad he was. He needs to return his match fee and expenses and tender his resignation to the EFL.

Our players were kicked up in the air... no foul. We touched one of your players... not just a foul but a yellow card. He missed a blatant penalty (and had the audacity to give Jordan Thomas a booking for diving having been clattered by 2 Grecian defenders).And, I'm really not sure about your penalty (I was a long way away), but it looked like a hard shot cannoned off a Cheltenham arm at point blank range.

I agree we should have been 0-3 down after 10 minutes (for once, Mo Eisa didn't bring his shooting boots to Whaddon Road), but over the remaining 80 minutes 1-1 would have been a fair result.Oh, what's more, the referee referred an incident (I think abuse from the home crowd), but appeared to take absolutely no action against the prats from Exeter who stopped the game 3 times by throwing illegal flares onto the pitch.

Footnote: I have toned down my comments... I am normally quite supportive of referees as they have a tough job to do. I hope you are happy with your three points, but if today's game is pivotal in sending us down, my fury will reignite!

And I sincerely hope you are feeling better. Now, I'll take some time to look at the other results.""

I think it is fair to say he was mightily pi**ed off!
Hope that your reply "put him straight" Chris ! :p

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re the three late penalty shouts.
Frame by frame and stills show:
Ours - Defenders arm away from body. Ball strikes hand/wrist. It doesn't matter if accidental. Penalty.

Their two claims.
[1] Their attacker is making the move backwards towards Luke Harris who is standing his ground. Luke jumps to head ball with his arms by his side. There is no contact worthy of their player falling to the ground clutching his head.

[2] Their attacker pushes the ball slightly ahead of him and Ryan Woods gets a clean touch on it to put it away for the corner. Even easier to see at full speed. The ref is perfectly positioned to see this 'side on'.

I get it that supporters get riled up in the moment (including us) and also that some decisions/outcomes are imprecise but these aren't.

Slagging off the ref after this evidence is available? (n)
The guy behind me was slagging the ref off all game, until the penalty for us. After that, of course, he was an all-seeing deity.

The fact that they as the home team had 5 players booked and City one (Sweeney for holding a player back) is also relevant.

Rosencrantz

They seem to forget that late, hanging the foot out tackle on Aimson by Nuttall that could easily have been a red and he let Sercs off for a cynical trip on Harps without what should have been a standard yellow. It's delusional they thought Thomas was fouled, he just pushed the ball through two City players and launched himself after it trying to find contact.

When you're in the relegation zone at this time of the season, desperation rules...and they are showing it.

Trapdoor

Watched the pen back in slow-motion.

Bloke has his hand up by his head to block the ball. Clear pen, ref was in a good position to see it as well. Pen all day long.

1712064317606.png
1712064362494.png

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watched the pen back in slow-motion.

Bloke has his hand up by his head to block the ball. Clear pen, ref was in a good position to see it as well. Pen all day long.

View attachment 15159
View attachment 15160
Obviously didn't want to take ball in the face - couldn't have been more obvious to ref

crocks

Cole has scored the only 2 goals timed at 90 mins + this season.

paperclip

The guy behind me was slagging the ref off all game, until the penalty for us. After that, of course, he was an all-seeing deity.

The fact that they as the home team had 5 players booked and City one (Sweeney for holding a player back) is also relevant.
Very relevant JW. Cheltenham kicked lumps out of our players for most of the game. Don't think the referee was particularly good in the first half but he did well not to award a late penalty under immense pressure from their players and management team. Ours occurred right in front of me - stonewall pen.

Exehausted

There is a vlog on youtube by a young Cheltenham fan under the name Bertie Bells vlogs. He was level with our penalty area in the second half. After our penalty he had a very good view of the third so called "penalty" for them. The ball bounces up and our player goes for it with theirs and they clash heads. Their player goes down like he's been shot, but it's no penalty in my opinion.

Grecian Max

Luke Harris reviews the game

denzel

Luke Harris reviews the game

See post #396 ;)