• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love Chieck, possibly my favourite player so glad he's signed.

ryancooper327

I’d like to see a couple games of Aimson - Diabate - Jules.

Aimson has the best passing, Diabate can head it (most of the time), and Jules has pace.

Three different qualities that could work well.

I’m also hoping he takes Hartridge’s number 5.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Excellent news for a Wednesday
Crikey! 😱
We haven't secured Cam Dawson's signature as well today have we? 😜

fred binneys head

Brilliant news, absolutely delighted with this!

andrew p long

@ryancooper327

I reckon the lad will be wanting to be first choice somewhere before too long. Not sure that would be in GCs plans. Aimson’s only 27, Fitzwater younger again.
I too doubt that he is GC's first choice centre half But if Aimson is now 27 Will will be delighted to have got a year younger in the 15 months since he signed for City ;) - announced as 28 last year-

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2023/january/will-aimson-signs/#:~:text=Will%2C%2028%20has%20put%20pen,Saturday's%20match%20at%20MK%20Dons.

And also that his 30th birthday - due early in June according to wiki - has been put back 3 years

The club and wiki say Aimson is 29, about to turn 30. Sweeney is 29, turning 30 early next season. Perhaps, just perhaps, that gives Cheick a window of opportunity here ..

Squeezebox

...someone's dropped a bomb somewhere
Originally banned on the radio if I remember correctly!

andrew p long

Aimson has the best passing, Diabate can head it (most of the time), and Jules has pace.

Great shout! I just hope Cheick isn't too loyal to the number 39 shirt

Mid Devon Grecian

I too doubt that he is GC's first choice centre half But if Aimson is now 27 Will will be delighted to have got a year younger in the 15 months since he signed for City ;) - announced as 28 last year-

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2023/january/will-aimson-signs/#:~:text=Will%2C%2028%20has%20put%20pen,Saturday's%20match%20at%20MK%20Dons.

And also that his 30th birthday - due early in June according to wiki - has been put back 3 years

The club and wiki say Aimson is 29, about to turn 30. Sweeney is 29, turning 30 early next season. Perhaps, just perhaps, that gives Cheick a window of opportunity here ..
Oops typo on my behalf there.

No problem for Aimson to go on for another 3-5 years I’d have thought, doesn’t seem particularly injury prone.

As Harris has pointed out, Cheick is going to have to work very hard to up his distribution quality to be first choice.

I think he’s a great character but ultimately he’s going to want to be playing regularly in the next year or two, not sure he’s going to here given GCs preference for playing out from the back. IMO Aimson, Sweeney and Jules are our best back three.

Yet to see enough of Purrington or Fitzwater plus looks like Ed James may be in the frame soon as well.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

He seems happy with 39 so I'd give Purrington number 5 - I don't normally care what number a player wears but seeing a left-sided player wearing number 2 just looks so wrong.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Solid enough squad signing. There will always be games, in part or whole, when we're going to need some Old Skool Chieck defending but if he has ambitions of becoming a first team regular then he is going to have to step up the possession side of his game massively. Some will scoff but the simple facts are Caldwell plays a possession based game. Every one of our other defenders, as defenders go, are comfortable on the ball and are capable playing the way required.
I know it was against a demoralised Vale side but he pinged some pretty decent passes in the second half last Saturday.