• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Change of kick off time for the Southend home game next Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
the tricky thing in rearranging is accomodating Southend's journey, minimising the need for an overnight stop. So this one might go back to 5pm rather than forward to 1pm.
I wonder whether we will see all the Saturday games moved to Sunday and all the games for the following Tuesday moved to the Wednesday.

gui

Would like to see the ceremony and i prefer a 1pm kick off so this is good for me.
I can’t stand early kick offs . I much prefer late games .

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It depends on whether Southend were going to stay overnight in Devon before the game, I expect. If so 1pm. If not, 5pm?

5 hours plus by coach.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would you say the same about The Queen? Did you say it about Princess Diana? If you didn't want to be disrespectful, probably best to say nothing in the first place. Call it old fashioned or whatever else you care to but I think you'll find national protocol calls for the country to stop when a leading Royal has their funeral.
I remember when Sir Winston Churchill's "state funeral" was held it certainly didn't stop me from going to watch City at Ashton Gate ( with Chris Wickens of "this parish" iirc ). In fact it may have have helped us, as our school was closed for the day as a mark of respect, and normally we would have had Saturday morning lessons ! :)

tonykellowfan

Exactly, no doubt the revised KO times are to be found within the detailed instructions for Operation Forth Bridge. :rolleyes:

It is this kind of nonsense that makes me realise just how much I despise the institution that is the monarchy. It is an medieval anachronism that simply has no place in the 21st century. I am astonished that so many 'subjects' (ffs) continue to be duped into believing them necessary, or desirable, or 'value for money' (ffs!), but most of the time I just accept this level of stupidity (along with e.g. almost 14 million voting Tory). What does **** me off though is when they get in the way of everyday life - I understand they need to bury the old racist but there is no need for that to impact on anything. else. at. all.

If anyone wants to watch the footy and the funeral I'm sure the service will be available on iplayer or umpteen repeats across all feckin channels over the coming weeks - I don't understand why it needs to be watched 'live - since when did funerals become spectator sport?

rant over.
I probably shouldn't bite, but I'll give my views. Firstly no one is a subject of the crown we are all exactly the same as being citizens of the UK, the Queen is a citizen same as everyone else. You are completely correct to say they are not necessary we could quite easily move over to being a republic with or without a president. Whether they are desirable or provide value for money I think you would agree is quite a complex question, other countries who have elected head of states do spend quite large sums on their presidents and it is accepted even by the most ardent republicans that the monarchy are still very popular both home and abroad which does lead to tourism. I would probably agree with you that the monarchy is a "medieval anachronism" as you put it, but that does not make it a bad thing per se, lots of odds things from the past are worth preserving and celebrating. There is an advantage in having a non political head of state - would you prefer President Tony Blair or President Ian Duncan Smith for example? The Queen has actually been a very good servant of this country over her very long period as head of state and the country in my opinion has benefited from that.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can’t stand early kick offs . I much prefer late games .
A late kick off would be as good,but I wouldn't be too pleased if it go in the way of my dinner.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I probably shouldn't bite, but I'll give my views. Firstly no one is a subject of the crown we are all exactly the same as being citizens of the UK,
Yes.

Just checked my passport and it says BRITISH CITIZEN

Legohead

Banned
The issue of the monarchy and the debate about whether they have / are of benefit to the country or not isn't really relevant here. The issue is the media imbalance and bias. The media seem to think that we are all interested and if not then we should be, when in actual fact, many of us have no interest in the Royals whatsoever. Just like i have no interest in quiz shows. If Chris Tarrant died then i wouldn't bat an eyelid, although arguably he's a national institution to many. It would be sad for him and those who know him or even have been inspired by him but for most it's sadly just another bloke passing away to be factually correct. Just because an esteemed and revered public figure has died does not mean that everyone actually cares that much in the grand scheme of things and that the country has to be force fed this incessant rolling news about it and come to a standstill.

tonykellowfan

What people seeming to be moaning about is the time of their match being changed. This has happened quite a lot this season, Exeter has kicked off at 1pm on a saturday for no apparent reason several times this season already.

People are literally losing their sh1t over a small change to the kick off time.

Legohead

Banned
What people seeming to be moaning about is the time of their match being changed. This has happened quite a lot this season, Exeter has kicked off at 1pm on a saturday for no apparent reason several times this season already.

People are literally losing their sh1t over a small change to the kick off time.
No they aren't. Its the reason why the kick off time has been changed that's the issue. Not the fact that it has been changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.