• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cathedral Green - Fire

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Devestating news from this historic part of Exeter. Looks like the Royal Clarence could be gutted by fire.

All very sad.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Forgive me for putting this on WoWs. I think it should be seen by all those that don't have Exeter stories in their social media feeds.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This on Twitter shows what's happening from about 10 minutes ago. It started in the building on the left at about 05.20am this morning, and has moved to the right.
https://twitter.com/SimonHallNews/status/791991288732217345

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This is a picture from 4 hours ago, and everything looks contained

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks Hants , as I said on the news thread , very sad , so many old buildings around there.

RyanPugh

Exeter City Council & Express & Echo have been live streaming the fire on their Facebook pages since this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/ExeterCityCouncil/videos/vb.186668925633/10157659008250634/?type=3&theater - The current one.

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just got back from town. It's still going and has spread to the Royal Clarence.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The view from the Bog Bank (courtesy of Clive Pring on Twitter)

Last edited:

RyanPugh

Seems I can't post a screenshot of the video, either that or I'm doing it wrong

Last edited:

conker

I walked by there at 09:30 this morning and it looked like the fire in the art gallery had been contained. About an hour later I looked out of the window at work and there was a serious amount of smoke coming from up there. It only got worse for a couple of hours.

Still smoking now, but it's a lot less than earlier (albeit still a significant amount) and it appears to be white rather than black/grey. Hopefully that means they're on top of things.

Very sad. A beautiful part of the city.