• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

OmanGrecian

May as well just keep this thread open.

What an awful draw.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just a lack of strikers instinct, plain and simple.
Got to agree, a natural striker wouldn't think about it, he'd just hit it at where he knew the goal was. Pathetic to be honest.

Last edited:

Stelios

Lee Martins chance.I have not seen it on any highlights.

Crikey, he never looked confident. Strange to see Lee Martin trying to move the ball onto his right foot because he has an excellent left foot.

I guess it was a case of "Oh ****, I'm one-on-one with the keeper, better get it onto my right foot".

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Another point that one or two have alluded to; Its no good any of the other players, or anyone else trying to imply that Maxted cost us this game. Yes he didnt have a very good game, but neither did the rest of the so called team that Taylor put out. It was a dreadfull performance all over the pitch, and nobody was exempt; Nobody had an acceptable value for money game for a professional football player.

On the Maxted front, I thought he had a poor game in general, with his generally misdirected kicking and poor distribution. He also didnt look up for it, and glaringly lacks the agility and presense between the sticks that Ward possesses. I only thought he should have done better with one goal though, and that was the second. I know that shot along the ground took a deflection, but IMHO not enough of one that that ball should have got past him - when he appeared to have it covered. The other three goals were rank bad luck for him, particularly that fourth, when their player followed up for that palmed out ball before Maxted could barely move.

I think the pressure is well and truly on Taylor know. I'm starting to get fed up with his semi comedic post match interviews, where he gives quick fire responses to the interviewer yet seldom makes an awful lot of sense. I know Taylor is a nice guy, but sometimes even nice guys come last; he doesnt seem anywhere near putting together a team that'll compete week in week out and get us out of League 2. Tuesdays game v third from bottom Scunthorpe is a huge game for us and Taylor if we're to seriously consider getting out of this league this season.
The 4th goal was dire goalkeeping IMO

PeteUSA

Not good, but I think Maxted was unlucky that the forward kept on coming, meaning that because he parried it down, the striker was always going to be first to that ball. Its easy to say with hindsight but I wonder if Maxwell might have just flat out caught the ball? I'm guessing he thought he was much nearer to his goal-line than he actually was and was afraid of carrying the ball into the goal.

Rosencrantz

Reminded me of Pepe Reina in the Merseyside derby gifting Andrew Johnson Everton's third back along.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Reminded me of Pepe Reina in the Merseyside derby gifting Andrew Johnson Everton's third back along.
Yeah bang on....