• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
All in all, I can only imagine we thought we were better than we are and paid the price.
In the thread about the pre match build up/predictions, it was awash with not just that we would win but that it both would and should be an easy win. If the players went into the game with a similar complacency as a number of fans did....

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the thread about the pre match build up/predictions, it was awash with not just that we would win but that it both would and should be an easy win. If the players went into the game with a similar complacency as a number of fans did....
A thin line between complacency and confidence and given our excellent recent record against Cambridge supporters and players alike were entitled to go into the game with a good degree of confidence.

andrew p long

A thin line between complacency and confidence and given our excellent recent record against Cambridge supporters and players alike were entitled to go into the game with a good degree of confidence.
Indeed. What I particularly disliked were the references to ‘an easy win’. We have barely had an easy win all season. MT had this far more right in his pre match press interviews about the nature of the challenge Cambridge would pose

Banksy

Lee Martrin recently won an award, he was also once seen as a Man Utd prospect so for all the evidence that as a striker he couldn't hit a barn door, he must actually be good.
But the fact remains , he is not a striker.

Banksy

Disappointing result, to say the least.
A bit of reality kicking you in the arse is not always a bad thing, but if we don't get a result at Scunthorpe it'll start to be a bit worrying.
Are the players and manager thinking ahead too much to the Argyle match and taking their eye of the ball? Just a thought. Even Jake said he would be lying if he said he wasn't thinking about it. For us it is a very big match, and the players will know it.
If they don’t watch it , thinking that way , they will lose it. Can’t afford to lose momentum.

Red Devon

Indeed. What I particularly disliked were the references to ‘an easy win’. We have barely had an easy win all season. MT had this far more right in his pre match press interviews about the nature of the challenge Cambridge would pose

Its a very competitive league with little between the teams and no such a thing as an easy game...if you don’t work hard you won’t win many games with standing heavy pressure when defending a one goal lead is a common occurrence in City matches.

IndoMike

Don't you know football defies logic?
If they don’t watch it , thinking that way , they will lose it. Can’t afford to lose momentum.
It's just a theory based.on a few comments during the week. But you're right : one game at a time, lads

PeteUSA

Another point that one or two have alluded to; Its no good any of the other players, or anyone else trying to imply that Maxted cost us this game. Yes he didnt have a very good game, but neither did the rest of the so called team that Taylor put out. It was a dreadfull performance all over the pitch, and nobody was exempt; Nobody had an acceptable value for money game for a professional football player.

On the Maxted front, I thought he had a poor game in general, with his generally misdirected kicking and poor distribution. He also didnt look up for it, and glaringly lacks the agility and presense between the sticks that Ward possesses. I only thought he should have done better with one goal though, and that was the second. I know that shot along the ground took a deflection, but IMHO not enough of one that that ball should have got past him - when he appeared to have it covered. The other three goals were rank bad luck for him, particularly that fourth, when their player followed up for that palmed out ball before Maxted could barely move.

I think the pressure is well and truly on Taylor know. I'm starting to get fed up with his semi comedic post match interviews, where he gives quick fire responses to the interviewer yet seldom makes an awful lot of sense. I know Taylor is a nice guy, but sometimes even nice guys come last; he doesnt seem anywhere near putting together a team that'll compete week in week out and get us out of League 2. Tuesdays game v third from bottom Scunthorpe is a huge game for us and Taylor if we're to seriously consider getting out of this league this season.

IndoMike

Another point that one or two have alluded to; Its no good any of the other players, or anyone else trying to imply that Maxted cost us this game. Yes he didnt have a very good game, but neither did the rest of the so called team that Taylor put out. It was a dreadfull performance all over the pitch, and nobody was exempt; Nobody had an acceptable value for money game for a professional football player.

On the Maxted front, I thought he had a poor game in general, with his generally misdirected kicking and poor distribution. He also didnt look up for it, and glaringly lacks the agility and presense between the sticks that Ward possesses. I only thought he should have done better with one goal though, and that was the second. I know that shot along the ground took a deflection, but IMHO not enough of one that that ball should have got past him - when he appeared to have it covered. The other three goals were rank bad luck for him, particularly that fourth, when their player followed up for that palmed out ball before Maxted could barely move.

I think the pressure is well and truly on Taylor know. I'm starting to get fed up with his semi comedic post match interviews, where he gives quick fire responses to the interviewer yet seldom makes an awful lot of sense. I know Taylor is a nice guy, but sometimes even nice guys come last; he doesnt seem anywhere near putting together a team that'll compete week in week out and get us out of League 2. Tuesdays game v third from bottom Scunthorpe is a huge game for us and Taylor if we're to seriously consider getting out of this league this season.
Scunthorpe are hitting a bit of form. Will probably be a very tough match. We need to get right back on track to keep up the enthusiasm and good support away and at SJP.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't there, but sounds quite similar to the Grimsby match... A game were very much in before going behind. Then we fall apart a bit while chasing the game and end up getting beaten comfortably. Think this is a weakness... Bit of naivety, while chasing games. Have to build your way back in and keep focused defensively. Can quickly go from losing narrowly to being out of the game.