• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the sixties Johnny Speight was asked how he could express such shocking, ignorant and insulting views through his lead character Alf Garnet in the sitcom Til Death Do Us Part. He explained that by giving those lines to such an obviously flawed and intellectually challenged individual he was actually undermining the whole argument and ridiculing all people that held those views.
Thats the only way I could ever justify this sh1t thread.

Average Joe

Can we please change the name of the thread to Caldwell In!

Grecian Max

Are you familiar with the concept of time and the word “currently”?
This warms my heart, We8Argyle has definitely learned the ropes of exeweb tone of voice now

Falling somewhere in between grumpy old man and a teenager p!ssed off at her dad is the sweet spot IMO

arthur

I disagree for these reasons:
  • The thread title has a question mark.
  • The poll is binary and the end result says Caldwell should stay.
  • Social media threads are both fluid and archival - changing the title denies the history of the thread.
  • The thread has been a useful barometer and various posts along the way are snapshots of the voting at particular times.
  • If you read the recent posts Caldwell is being praised and there have been some mea culpas.
  • Caldwell himself has seen the funny side by posing in a 'Caldwell Out Out' T-shirt.
  • The thread as a whole is a useful reminder that medium and longer term outcomes can fly in the face of instant 'solutions'.
  • A thread that started with the post "Needn’t say more" has had almost 9,000 posts all prompted by visits to the thread with the title as it stands.
This!

Grecian Max

Loved your Twitter post/caption 😁😁
IMG_5841.jpeg

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't beat a bit of self flagulation ........................ so I read

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think, looking back, this is the key point. The performances at Fleetwood and Bolton were so bad that it was very difficult to see how things were going to improve. I'm not sure Gary ever stated it publicly but it felt like his only hope was somehow to get through to January and make the most of the transfer window which he has done spectacularly well.
With the financial backing of the board it was either win or bust for him.More loss of face for the board would have weakened him irrevocably, even if they had left him in place this summer.

supernova

Could we bring this thread to a close by having a highlights reel of the best and funniest comments and all have a good laugh at ourselves? Just a thought…..

Or you leave it dormant until the likely day the manager does get the boot (because that’s what usually happens to most managers eventually) 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I found this interesting article on social media.Could this be part of the philosophy that has influenced Caldwell's process?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wanted GC gone at the height of that dreadful run. I can't recall a run like it under Trust ownership, there were whole seasons like it from 1994-2002 but for the past twenty years we've come to expect better. Maybe that's why we hit the panic button so soon?

Anyway, I've changed my vote. Even in January/ February time when results were picking up, the performances were still turgid and I didn't want to watch us most weeks.

But over the last six weeks in particular we have been tremendous. This run has restored my optimism and as football fans that's all we want isn't it? The hope that we might be on the verge of something good? Something unprecedented?

Bring on next season. UTC!