• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Trampus

I agree with you that things have been pretty turgid this season, but... Just to look at the case for the defence, a second, without getting into arcane stats. We may well go down, but I think we're equally likely to finish 13th, which would be our second highest league position in over 40 years, watched by the highest average crowd in the same period. If Caldwell can put those things on his CV and it looks like this, well... Funny old game, isn't it.
The likelihood of us finishing 13th is vanishingly small. Scoring goals particularly at home is paramount, I can’t believe the number of people that show up to home games. I can hardly bear to watch the BBC web site And use Exeternil as my main password.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
That is incorrect, GC did make a change before Fleetwood scored, (I want to say about 5 minutes prior), and he actually changed the shape when doing so. He brought Cox on and went two upfront, I would imagine in order to give us another body so that we could try and secure the ball when it went forward as before that, Eisa was on his own with Harris in behind.

As I said, was it the right change, I don't think it was and I think most would agree, but I can see why I think that's the decision he made even if I didn't agree at the time it was the right one to make.
Fair cop. I think I've put the disallowed goal. The general point around GCs inability to read and effect a game through tactical change and subs still very much stands though.

Look all of us want GC To be successful, it's not our fault he has been a really poor appointment this far.

You’re not correct in that he could change my mind, it’s unlikely if he continues down this path but of course if it magically came together like some believe I’d be more than happy. That goes without question. I know this in myself so you’d have to take my word for it. The absurdity would be not to have flexibility in mindset, it’s not how approach life or work.

What’s there to be salty about? We both support Exeter City right? You seem to be a long standing supporter so surely you can separate the club from the coach? Objectively it hasn’t been good this season where it matters - going forward. There’s a number of reasons behind this - I was being told in January that we were but a striker away from changing this issue. Proven to not be the case.

I can see you’re trying to offer up an alternative view in an attempt to show us… what exactly? That we aren’t as poor going forward as it seems? That there’s something within the hours and hours of football this season I should be able enjoying?

The only stat that really matters is goals scored, above all else and we are 71 out of 72 right now. That trumps anything else in my view, would you agree?
I feel like you have me as someone who is ultra supportive of Caldwell and is utterly under his spell - I've said it so many times in posts on here before but I am not completely convinced on him and for me the jury is still very much out. All I've wanted to do with my posts is highlight that sometimes people level strong criticism when I personally don't feel like it is always completely warranted. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to enjoy the things that I think give me cause for optimism - football is subjective.

Out of the majority of games that I've seen this season, there have been things I've seen that have given me confidence that if we could improve or tweak certain aspects, we could be a decent team in this league.

At no point have I tried to shield GC or the team from any criticism whatsoever. I'll list some of the things that are really frustrating me when watching us this season:
- Incredibly poor levels of finishing - not 'creating' but the actual quality of finishing - I agree we need to score more goals.
- Lack of ability to defend against teams that are direct and powerful - only seems to improve when Cheick plays (generally) - we get bullied so easily, but IMO this is a longer term issue - I think we've been bullied under GC, under Tis and under Matt at times.
- Lack of athleticism in the middle of the pitch - I like Carroll/Cole on the ball and tactically but I really feel like we need someone who can give us some more legs - Woods could be a short term option but haven't seen enough of him yet to make judgement.
- Feeling of a real lack of belief from the players if we go 1-0 down.
- How poorly we defend set pieces
- Often think we could press teams higher and get after them more out of possession at SJP.
- Lack of ability to kill games off.

I'm not wearing GC tinted glasses. There are multiple areas we need to improve. I'm not hiding away from that. For me, he has until the end of the season to finish where I would expect us to finish this season and demonstrate that he can improve us in some of the areas I'm looking at.

I have no affiliation to GC that supersedes my affiliation to the football club. City was here long before Caldwell and (I hope) will be here long after he eventually leaves. My affiliation to GC is that he is our current manager and IMO think he could be a good manager for us. That's it. People may disagree on the idea that he could be a good manager for us and that is fine.

What I've always tried to do, is just highlight areas where I think people have been slightly unfair, with my reasons why I think they've been unfair. That is all.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Caldwell has a 31.2 win % as City manager since he arrived.

His career average is 32.9 %.

In comparison.

Matt Taylors is 38.9%

Paul Tisdale 37.9%

I suppose given the level we’re at someone with a win % of 40 % + is unlikely.

Mid Devon Grecian

He also tweaked at half time following us conceding and going down to 10 men, which I think enabled us to go on and get the equaliser and subsequent point.

Any issues on recruitment need to be levelled at GC and Marcus equally given that they both have the biggest impact. I've said before, I think the majority of the signings under him have been pretty good, but, any that do go wrong will inevitably (and fairly) be questioned.
Fair enough, I didn’t see the Stevenage game so only going on the changed starting formation.

Cox and Eisa were on the pitch together for 10mins in the Fleetwood game. Eisa was replaced by Yanic ‘pea roller’ Wildschutt. I’m sure Fleetwood were scared witless at the change.

Appears Marcus has lost his magic touch with finding goal scorers.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Caldwell has a 31.2 win % as City manager since he arrived.
His career average is 32.9 %.
In comparison.
Matt Taylors is 38.9%
Paul Tisdale 37.9%

I suppose given the level we’re at someone with a win % of 40 % + is unlikely.
I appreciate you are talking career averages, but Alex Inglethorpe attained 49.4% in 89 games with us. Eamo was 41.9% in 62 and Matt Taylor was actually 44.9% in 227.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I feel like you have me as someone who is ultra supportive of Caldwell and is utterly under his spell - I've said it so many times in posts on here before but I am not completely convinced on him and for me the jury is still very much out. All I've wanted to do with my posts is highlight that sometimes people level strong criticism when I personally don't feel like it is always completely warranted. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to enjoy the things that I think give me cause for optimism - football is subjective.

Out of the majority of games that I've seen this season, there have been things I've seen that have given me confidence that if we could improve or tweak certain aspects, we could be a decent team in this league.

At no point have I tried to shield GC or the team from any criticism whatsoever. I'll list some of the things that are really frustrating me when watching us this season:
- Incredibly poor levels of finishing - not 'creating' but the actual quality of finishing - I agree we need to score more goals.
- Lack of ability to defend against teams that are direct and powerful - only seems to improve when Cheick plays (generally) - we get bullied so easily, but IMO this is a longer term issue - I think we've been bullied under GC, under Tis and under Matt at times.
- Lack of athleticism in the middle of the pitch - I like Carroll/Cole on the ball and tactically but I really feel like we need someone who can give us some more legs - Woods could be a short term option but haven't seen enough of him yet to make judgement.
- Feeling of a real lack of belief from the players if we go 1-0 down.
- How poorly we defend set pieces
- Often think we could press teams higher and get after them more out of possession at SJP.
- Lack of ability to kill games off.

I'm not wearing GC tinted glasses. There are multiple areas we need to improve. I'm not hiding away from that. For me, he has until the end of the season to finish where I would expect us to finish this season and demonstrate that he can improve us in some of the areas I'm looking at.

I have no affiliation to GC that supersedes my affiliation to the football club. City was here long before Caldwell and (I hope) will be here long after he eventually leaves. My affiliation to GC is that he is our current manager and IMO think he could be a good manager for us. That's it. People may disagree on the idea that he could be a good manager for us and that is fine.

What I've always tried to do, is just highlight areas where I think people have been slightly unfair, with my reasons why I think they've been unfair. That is all.
Have to say that I think this a very fair assessment and I agree with a lot of what you have said here. I understand why so many are frustrated with the team and GC right now, but I also see certain things that make me think that if we can finally get in a couple of good attacking players this summer we could actually click. This doesn't mean it will happen and maybe GC isn't the guy for the job, and there certainly needs to be improvements, but I haven't written him off just yet.

As you have touched on I would like to see us get after Bolton on Saturday and press like we did at Peterborough. I think at home we do need to be a little more on the front foot especially out of possession which would get the crowd and everyone at SJP getting behind the team.

manc grecian

Have to say that I think this a very fair assessment and I agree with a lot of what you have said here. I understand why so many are frustrated with the team and GC right now, but I also see certain things that make me think that if we can finally get in a couple of good attacking players this summer we could actually click. This doesn't mean it will happen and maybe GC isn't the guy for the job, and there certainly needs to be improvements, but I haven't written him off just yet.

As you have touched on I would like to see us get after Bolton on Saturday and press like we did at Peterborough. I think at home we do need to be a little more on the front foot especially out of possession which would get the crowd and everyone at SJP getting behind the team.
I admire people's patience and perseverance but every transfer window is if we get this and if we get that. We get this or that and nothing improves.

Pete Martin (CTID)

The issue is that we do that, but there is rarely any end product. 27 goals in 36 games tells its own story. I think it was said in last Saturday's commentary that we haven't won a game all season where we haven't scored first.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The issue is that we do that, but there is rarely any end product. 27 goals in 36 games tells its own story. I think it was said in last Saturday's commentary that we haven't won a game all season where we haven't scored first.
WE have once. Peterborough at home. Away we haven't.