• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Against Peterborough his subs severly dented our game plan / effectiveness, which was actually working reasonably well until he made the subs.
I'm fairly agnostic on the whole thing, but isn't it the case that not all his subs are about tactical switches. There'll be players in there who are carrying knocks or who will struggle to play out the 90. Over the course of the season, having that strength in depth so that things don't fall apart after subs has really been a problem for us. I'm not sure it's poor tactical switches though, I think it's enforced or semi-enforced substitutions that weaken us.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, against Fleetwood we didn't change anything until the goal went in and they equalised, he didn't change anything or try to change the game or stem the flow until they scored and even then it was just different players doing the same thing over and over. That is my biggest issue with GC's tenure, he changed things once, last season in March, other than that he has tried to stick with the same set up throughout matches irrespetive of what is happening in front of him.

I am going to go as far as saying that GC doesn't read a game very well. Against Peterborough his subs severly dented our game plan / effectiveness, which was actually working reasonably well until he made the subs. Against Fleetwood he didn't change or do anything until they scored despite the entire stadium, those watching and listening knowing not doing anything would result in a Fleetwood goal. We have attained 5 points from losing positions, GC hasn't changed a game back in our favour from a losing position for us to win a game all season and has rarely changed a game with his subs for a positive (Whatever the result) this season. Unfortunately this means when we start losing it is fair to assume that is us done for the match.
Speaking of Fleetwood it was probably the only time this season I thought we would see a goal from a corner, unfortunately for them, through packing out the six yard box and lopping it in there, and we nearly did except for the linesman's flag!

Mid Devon Grecian

No, against Fleetwood we didn't change anything until the goal went in and they equalised, he didn't change anything or try to change the game or stem the flow until they scored and even then it was just different players doing the same thing over and over. That is my biggest issue with GC's tenure, he changed things once, last season in March, other than that he has tried to stick with the same set up throughout matches irrespetive of what is happening in front of him.

I am going to go as far as saying that GC doesn't read a game very well. Against Peterborough his subs severly dented our game plan / effectiveness, which was actually working reasonably well until he made the subs. Against Fleetwood he didn't change or do anything until they scored despite the entire stadium, those watching and listening knowing not doing anything would result in a Fleetwood goal. We have attained 5 points from losing positions, GC hasn't changed a game back in our favour from a losing position for us to win a game all season and has rarely changed a game with his subs for a positive (Whatever the result) this season. Unfortunately this means when we start losing it is fair to assume that is us done for the match.
And the atmosphere at SJP now reflects the despondency

Reactions: Ash

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can dress it up all you want. The football and lack of goals especially at home has been dull and predictable. Plus it's unlikely to change anytime soon. Like I've said previously, I'll be picking and choosing my games next season. Will I miss going regularly? No.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Max, you used to be able to debate on here quite rationally, but recently you seem to be totally deaf to anyone who has a different opinion. People are not attempting to influence your viewpoint, rather they are merely putting their own side forward.

You said that goals scored was the most important stat in football. I disagreed. I think that league table position, points on the board and goal difference are more important. Of course goal difference is determined by goals scored minus goals conceded, but goal difference is more informative (and literally is used before goals scored in determining league table position when points are tied).

Goals scored are more important that xG, shots on target stats etc etc. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But just as goals scored will impact on goal difference, points and position, those other stats that Exiled_Grecian has referenced, have an impact on goals scored.
I think you’re taking what I’m saying too literally, which is fair enough

Exiled comes on here with reams of stats and words but it’s all redundant because we can’t hit the back of the net. Explaining or attempting to put positive spin on performances that rarely improve in the final third.

Obviously the table doesn’t lie and will tell the truth at the end, I don’t dispute that. What irritates me is the attempt to offer an “alternative” view to the football we’ve seen this season. It’s unnecessarily defensive - I genuinely can’t believe you and others have sat through all the games this year and thought “yep, this is going somewhere”

I’m not a coach, I’m not an expert, I’m a long time supporter of this club that can compare to times past and this is honestly the most boring attempt of football I’ve seen. Tisdale’s mind numbing stuff post 2012 up to 2016 I thought wouldn’t be topped for that.

There is still a danger that it’s not just lacking in energy but also could relegate us. The club will be emboldened by a support split and some willing to offer up nonsense statistical “successes” in the face of abject failure.

That and other posters making out like any sort of criticism correlates with how loyal one is as a fan and this circular argument just makes the whole thing tedious.

When City play well, I say so. When Caldwell makes good decisions, I say it. When he gets a result that I never expected I’m happy to put my hands up. If he somehow gets this to all come together at a future point, again I will say so.

No one on the other side of the fence would do the same. It’s black and white, set in stone.

If you, or Sturtz, or Exiled watched a game with me, you’d know how much I want City to win. I’m not in it to moan or pick, and willing to give coaches time. I’ve hated this season.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

And the atmosphere at SJP now reflects the despondency
The atmosphere has been totally killed off and won’t return until we finally part ways

I still have hope that staying in a rented place with Perks can only last so long and he’ll want to go back up North

Eventually it’ll happen and we can look at the next coach and see if that’s any good

Grecian Max

Wasn't trying to suggest we'd be in danger of becoming a 'chopping and changing' club at all, because we simply can't afford to be one. Was only responding to a 'Bonner for manager' post. Bonner had been manager of the Us for a couple of years before Neil Harris walked away in short order, not sacked, which is unusual, granted. My point is one of affordability - yes, apparently we can afford to get rid of GC and his backroom team on this occasion, but that money earmarked for other uses would then be lost. No deep pockets here, unlike other clubs, and a Harris type scenario would seriously set us back.

Recruitment is expensive, understandable that the club would be more cautious than most before ripping up contracts and paying compensation, especially mid-season. With the target of retaining L1 status the club must believe GC is capable of delivering, otherwise they would have sacked him already. Only think that because I don't buy into the L2 conspiracy theory. Assuming we are playing in L1 again next season, the issue would be whether season ticket sales are holding up, or not, and assessing at start of the close season. Home attendances have undeniably held up really well this season despite the poor fare on offer, and only time will tell whether that continues. Firmly believe average attendance and season ticket sales will decide GC's fate.
At least you admit we’ve been poor

I think we will stay up by the skin of our teeth but predict a real struggle next season

For me the writing is on the wall but I won’t do several victory laps when it comes to pass as it’ll only mean we’re in the shit

It’s not an appointment that feels right to me, 18 months in

Here’s hoping I’m wrong

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
At least you admit we’ve been poor

I think we will stay up by the skin of our teeth but predict a real struggle next season

For me the writing is on the wall but I won’t do several victory laps when it comes to pass as it’ll only mean we’re in the shit

It’s not an appointment that feels right to me, 18 months in

Here’s hoping I’m wrong
I agree with you that things have been pretty turgid this season, but... Just to look at the case for the defence, a second, without getting into arcane stats. We may well go down, but I think we're equally likely to finish 13th, which would be our second highest league position in over 40 years, watched by the highest average crowd in the same period. If Caldwell can put those things on his CV and it looks like this, well... Funny old game, isn't it.

That is incorrect, GC did make a change before Fleetwood scored, (I want to say about 5 minutes prior), and he actually changed the shape when doing so. He brought Cox on and went two upfront, I would imagine in order to give us another body so that we could try and secure the ball when it went forward as before that, Eisa was on his own with Harris in behind.

As I said, was it the right change, I don't think it was and I think most would agree, but I can see why I think that's the decision he made even if I didn't agree at the time it was the right one to make.

I think he tweaked the formation from the start at Stevenage. By bold I mean when you’re say 2-0 down at half time make some changes. Don’t wait until you’re still 2-0 down on 70mins and then replace like with like. He’s got a much stronger bench now but I still don’t see any dynamic changes forthcoming.

GC has recruited the vast majority of the squad now, if they aren’t capable of scoring who’s made the mistake?
He also tweaked at half time following us conceding and going down to 10 men, which I think enabled us to go on and get the equaliser and subsequent point.

Any issues on recruitment need to be levelled at GC and Marcus equally given that they both have the biggest impact. I've said before, I think the majority of the signings under him have been pretty good, but, any that do go wrong will inevitably (and fairly) be questioned.