• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for posting this - I was thinking of referring back to the 'Hawker Out' thread, where Mr Hawker was berated for acting on the basis that the manager, with reinforcements in January, would turn things round. But of course I didn't want to resurrect that thread to do so.

It's amazing that a club can issue a video where a club employee asks his ultimate boss 'why haven't you sacked the manager? how come you screwed up the summer transfer window? etc.
That's because we are fan owned and Trust members deserve openness in the face of adversity plus Taggy had previously stated publicly that "we could't afford to sack the manager" so Nick had to set the record straight.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
..........plus Taggy had previously stated publicly that "we could't afford to sack the manager" so Nick had to set the record straight.
That statement from Tagg is a bit worrying though. I wouldnt have thought the club would have got into a position where a manager was unsackable, given the fiasco we went through with Tisdale.

All in the past though, and luckily Mr Caldwell did more than enough to rule out the need to be discusing termination. Huge credit to him for the way the teams form turned around, and we finished in an acceptable league position. I didnt see that coming.

cannockred

That statement from Tagg is a bit worrying though. I wouldnt have thought the club would have got into a position where a manager was unsackable, given the fiasco we went through with Tisdale.

All in the past though, and luckily Mr Caldwell did more than enough to rule out the need to be discusing termination. Huge credit to him for the way the teams form turned around, and we finished in an acceptable league position. I didnt see that coming.
Perhaps pete, by this, taggy meant that the reputation of the club would be ruined as a club who stood by their managers, and so couldn't afford to do this.

Boyo

That's because we are fan owned and Trust members deserve openness in the face of adversity plus Taggy had previously stated publicly that "we could't afford to sack the manager" so Nick had to set the record straight.
Really? I don't remember that.

Several people on here, including myself, made the point that money is better invested in the team in January, rather than on sacking GC, but I don't recall any officials making claims we couldn't afford to sack the manager.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? I don't remember that.

Several people on here, including myself, made the point that money is better invested in the team in January, rather than on sacking GC, but I don't recall any officials making claims we couldn't afford to sack the manager.
I couldn't remember where I put my keys, this morning.

Tagg said it and we had a big old 15-20 page hoo-har about whether he meant it literally, it was a joke, was a light-hearted comment, was true in a looser sense, etc. Things got quite heated. You might not have noticed, or have forgotten, but he said it.

Boyo

I couldn't remember where I put my keys, this morning.

Tagg said it and we had a big old 15-20 page hoo-har about whether he meant it literally, it was a joke, was a light-hearted comment, was true in a looser sense, etc. Things got quite heated. You might not have noticed, or have forgotten, but he said it.
Source please. I'd like to watch / read it.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Source please. I'd like to watch / read it.
Its in his interview on the my new football club podcast back in october/november some time.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see this was on display again on Saturday. I wonder why? I think, bad memory, that this is my first post on this thread.

Radio Free Skaro

I disagree for these reasons:
  • The thread title has a question mark.
  • The poll is binary and the end result says Caldwell should stay.
  • Social media threads are both fluid and archival - changing the title denies the history of the thread.
  • The thread has been a useful barometer and various posts along the way are snapshots of the voting at particular times.
  • If you read the recent posts Caldwell is being praised and there have been some mea culpas.
  • Caldwell himself has seen the funny side by posing in a 'Caldwell Out Out' T-shirt.
  • The thread as a whole is a useful reminder that medium and longer term outcomes can fly in the face of instant 'solutions'.
  • A thread that started with the post "Needn’t say more" has had almost 9,000 posts all prompted by visits to the thread with the title as it stands.
Nah

tom_ecfc

I see this was on display again on Saturday. I wonder why? I think, bad memory, that this is my first post on this thread.
Seems to be an unlucky flag 😬