• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm fairly certain, as I was back in October - that we have a one way ticket back to League 2 under Caldwell.

The board have stuck with what they feel has worked in the past, all apparently stemming from a book Taggy once read. Recommended by Tisdale of course.

They are basing their thought process on a small bit in the book that says statisically changing manager has a negligible effect long term. The issue is, is that is based on an average and there are times where things will just not work.

That you can trace this decision back to The Bald Ego makes it all even more unpalatable

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 14.29.02.png

Ian webber

agree i watched them yesterday jumping up and down like mad men confronting the 4 offical every opportunity , its not nice to see and must rub off on the players and subs atchison to me always seems more interested in arguing with opponents and trying to throw himself to the ground basically cheating seems he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder

Rosencrantz

Regarding the short corners thing...

...I watched the Arsenal highlights last night. Here's a tippy tappy team that's quite short of a bit of muscle up front...who score their first two goals through long corners. Against a quite physical side in CP.

I'm all for mixing it up. But doing short corners, each every time, down in L1 is just bloody ridiculous. Just get it in the friggin box and often.
Having 6"3 and 6"4 centre backs in Saliba and Gabriel who attack the ball doesn't half help though. We only really had Cheick yesterday and he isn't massively tall for a centre back but does compete. Aimson is the only other centre back who actually attacks the ball from corners and he was on the bench. Zac has scored from a corner, from 18 yards thumped into the top corner 😉 but missed a load of easier chances earlier in the season with his head. I think of all Sweenz's goals over the years, I can remember a couple from corners that he headed in. He did make space for himself for that one at the end that Cole whipped in.

It isn't exactly a recent development under Caldwell either. Matt used to go on about the lack of goals from centre backs as well, probably as he himself was so handy at it. When you look at the promotion season, we had one from Cheick (at Walsall) and those two in one game for Stubbs from corners. Apart from that I am struggling to remember many more.

There is a place for short corners, and yesterday might have been a case in point against a big physical defence with not a great record ourselves. But it should have been much more mixed up. The one thing I thought Cambridge did well or at least differently than other teams this season, was to commit players to the short corner. It was always three on three or four on four. Other sides this season have rarely committed more than two players and we have had plenty of three on two situations that we have mostly worked the ball into the area.

Alistair20000

I'm fairly certain, as I was back in October - that we have a one way ticket back to League 2 under Caldwell.

The board have stuck with what they feel has worked in the past, all apparently stemming from a book Taggy once read. Recommended by Tisdale of course.

They are basing their thought process on a small bit in the book that says statisically changing manager has a negligible effect long term. The issue is, is that is based on an average and there are times where things will just not work.

That you can trace this decision back to The Bald Ego makes it all even more unpalatable

View attachment 14576
I wonder if the Cheesemeister would still manager today if he had accepted a contract that was fairer to the Club instead of flouncing off ?

grecIAN Harris

Having 6"3 and 6"4 centre backs in Saliba and Gabriel who attack the ball doesn't half help though. We only really had Cheick yesterday and he isn't massively tall for a centre back but does compete. Aimson is the only other centre back who actually attacks the ball from corners and he was on the bench. Zac has scored from a corner, from 18 yards thumped into the top corner 😉 but missed a load of easier chances earlier in the season with his head. I think of all Sweenz's goals over the years, I can remember a couple from corners that he headed in. He did make space for himself for that one at the end that Cole whipped in.

It isn't exactly a recent development under Caldwell either. Matt used to go on about the lack of goals from centre backs as well, probably as he himself was so handy at it. When you look at the promotion season, we had one from Cheick (at Walsall) and those two in one game for Stubbs from corners. Apart from that I am struggling to remember many more.

There is a place for short corners, and yesterday might have been a case in point against a big physical defence with not a great record ourselves. But it should have been much more mixed up. The one thing I thought Cambridge did well or at least differently than other teams this season, was to commit players to the short corner. It was always three on three or four on four. Other sides this season have rarely committed more than two players and we have had plenty of three on two situations that we have mostly worked the ball into the area.
Didn't Chieck get one very, very late on against Satanage at home to win all three points????

Pete Martin (CTID)

Just seen that Matt Taylor (no, not that one) has been sacked by Shrewsbury after 6 months. Just saying.

Antony Moxey

agree i watched them yesterday jumping up and down like mad men confronting the 4 offical every opportunity , its not nice to see and must rub off on the players and subs atchison to me always seems more interested in arguing with opponents and trying to throw himself to the ground basically cheating seems he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder
Yes, exactly what most opposition managers do too. It’s funny how people complain about people like the Cowleys, Evans and Clough and suggest that maybe we ought to smarten up and try a bit o& the dark arts ourselves instead of being nice all the time, and now here we have a manager appearing to do just that and we’re hanging him for it.

There are many faults that Caldwell has, touchline histrionics isn’t one of them.

Rosencrantz

Didn't Chieck get one very, very late on against Satanage at home to win all three points????
From a deep free kick not a corner.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't that against Orient?

grecIAN Harris

Wasn't that against Orient?
See above....