• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Buying a used car

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another question for Agent_Kujan.........

Protect your no claims bonus or not when insuring a car?

I have 8 years no claims. Not sure wether to spend the extra £50. Bare in mind my Mrs is insured on the policy as well.

I appreciate this is not really your business but I am thinking you may have some more wise words.

Thanks again.
It only costs about an extra £20, ive had it the last few years as I have 14 years no claims, ive heard Terry Tibbs is a good insurance broker

Agent_Kujan

Another question for Agent_Kujan.........

Protect your no claims bonus or not when insuring a car?

I have 8 years no claims. Not sure wether to spend the extra £50. Bare in mind my Mrs is insured on the policy as well.

I appreciate this is not really your business but I am thinking you may have some more wise words.

Thanks again.
Hmmm... not really my field as I have been in company cars for the last 15 years so all that has been taken care of. However, thanks to the recession all our demos have now been de-fleeted so I've just got my first 'normal' car for a long time. For £50.00 I would say that would be money well spent especially with the amount of uninsured drivers and half asleep Slovenian lorry drivers that are around.
If you do spend £5000 on a car from a dealer ask about GAP insurance when you are doing the deal. I won't go into the full sales patter here but it is a very good thing to have if you are spending the sum you've mentioned as it totally protects your investment. However some salesman will presumtive sale it and add it on to the invoice when they are quoting you & say "You really should have this, so I've included it". First of all this is against the rules of the FSA and secondly never pay full price for it. The dealer will have at least £150.00 profit margin in the quoted price so he should do you a little deal.

And Oldsmobile-88 don't worry about your Datsun 280Z story, it happens to the best of us. In fact car salesman are always buying unusual and usually doomed p/x's in the hope they can get them done up on the cheap. The mechanics on site always take one look and shake their heads while walking away and the salesman always end up sticking them through the auction for a massive loss after the car's sat on their drives for a few months.

But I have one great story about one customer. Went to see him when I was selling Saabs and he had an XJS as a part exchange. And what an XJS.
It was once a TWR special edition with a 6.0 V12 and once it was red. It was now a straight six and the body work was several shades of pink as well as red. It had had a rear end smash that was so badly repaired they hadn't even bothered painting it so inside the boot was all steel and welding seams. And it had 10 owners in 12 years and 149000 miles on the clock.
"Why did you buy it sir?"
"Well I was coming back from the pub after a very good lunch, saw it on a forecourt, told my friend to pull over and fell in love there and then,"
So basically he was pi**ed!

Then there was the Renault 5 GT Turbo that really was two cars welded into one and the owner didn't know. One of the mechanics bought that, ran it for two months before it expired in a massive cloud of smoke on the A3 as we followed him to a go-kart race.

Ahhh.... happy days.:D

Last edited:

Agent_Kujan

P.S. Thanks for the comment FRL about me caring about my job, that was very much appreciated. [y] :)

StixUK

I sold my Honda Civic on eBay a while ago via eBay an R-Reg model, best car I have ever owned...bloke turned up with wife and himself and the money...counted the cash...job done!!

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Advice....protect your arse......some poeple giving advice on this thread have a damn weird taste in music

Today is the big day when said used car is to be purchased..

Thing is it is in Durham...

Am I mad? Quite possibly but you know where Durham is near don't you..... Yes you guessed it Hartlepool.

A coincidence of the highest order. I am on the train from Taunton via Weston Super Mare to London Paddington, where I have to go to Kings Cross and then up to Durham.

Got on the train at 05.40am.

For the record I am buying a VW Touran Sport from a used car dealer. Looks and sounds very nice. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Many thanks for the sensible advice on this thread especially Agent_Kujan.

UTC.

Last edited:
Best of luck. Enjoy the game Utc

Best of luck. Enjoy the game Utc
Cheers Somerset. UTC.

Agent_Kujan

Today is the big day when said used car is to be purchased..

Thing is it is in Durham...

Am I mad? Quite possibly but you know where Durham is near don't you..... Yes you guessed it Hartlepool.

A coincidence of the highest order. I am on the train from Taunton via Weston Super Mare to London Paddington, where I have to go to Kings Cross and then up to Durham.

Got on the train at 05.40am.

For the record I am buying a VW Touran Sport from a used car dealer. Looks and sounds very nice. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Many thanks for the sensible advice on this thread especially Agent_Kujan.

UTC.
Good choice, usually a very nice car and pretty reliable. I take it its a diesel? If it is watch the oil level. If you start to top it on an unusually regular basis it might be leaking into the head or have a dodgy oil pump. To be honest, that could be true of nearly any car but I worked for VW for a bit and thats the only thing I can remember them having problems with.

I sold my friend one which was an ex-demo about seven years ago & now it has 90000 miles on the clock and he's still got it so that one must be alright! Plus he's still my mate!!! Again just make sure you keep it serviced.

Who knows you might have two reasons to celebrate today, watching City win and picking up a bargain!!!

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
tbh mate i don't know any other reputable websites apart from the ones you said, Auto Trader is the best although eBay Motors are not bad either.

perhaps have a look in a few local garages to see what they have?