• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bring back Aaron Martin thread!

jimbo-gould

So we are playing with a back four all of next season? Oh, I didn't realise that. I don't have the same inside info as you. I would have thought sometimes we would play with a back three and sometimes with a back four. Did Matt call you to tell you this?
Did Matt call and tell YOU?! He knows, and he has made the decision.

Again.

The person that decides how the team plays has made the decision to release a player and bring in a different type.

Keep reading the above sentence.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did Matt call and tell YOU?! He knows, and he has made the decision.

Again.

The person that decides how the team plays has made the decision to release a player and bring in a different type.

Keep reading the above sentence.
He released players because they had come to the end of their contract : he treated them all the same
You didn"t answer my question : how do you know he will play with four at the back ? Are you a psychic or something? Can you answer my question? I repeat: can you answer my question ?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we will go between three centre backs and two centre backs depending on who is available and who we are playing.

It looks as though Taylor wanted Sweeney out and he was the regular right sided centre back (of three) however due to the options we have available Sweeney may now be in the first eleven at Salford.

I don't see Taylor starting Dean or Dyer tomorrow although Josh Key may play at right back / right wing back.

The options we have will dictate what formation we go with. Against Salford tomorrow it wouldn't surprise me if we went with three centre backs as it may give us a more solid foundation.

In an ideal world I think Taylor wants a flat back four, we aren't in an ideal world.

Grecianpasty

Not for me. He's an over rated centre back. I'm sure if he's as good as people make him out to be he would have found a new club by now.

IndoMike

I think we will go between three centre backs and two centre backs depending on who is available and who we are playing.

It looks as though Taylor wanted Sweeney out and he was the regular right sided centre back (of three) however due to the options we have available Sweeney may now be in the first eleven at Salford.

The options we have will dictate what formation we go with. Against Salford tomorrow it wouldn't surprise me if we went with three centre backs as it may give us a more solid foundation.

In an ideal world I think Taylor wants a flat back four, we aren't in an ideal world.
I would imagine sometimes we'll play with a back three and sometimes with a back four. The fact that Caprice and Page are supposedly attacking wing backs suggests a back three. But if you had Sweeney and Hartridge as full backs (for example) you'd play with a back four.

jimbo-gould

He released players because they had come to the end of their contract : he treated them all the same
You didn"t answer my question : how do you know he will play with four at the back ? Are you a psychic or something? Can you answer my question? I repeat: can you answer my question ?
I obviously do not know. Can you answer my question...why would the person who knows how he wants to play choose to sign a different kind of player over retaining Aaron Martin?
Do you acknowledge in any way that he might not be as effective in a back four, and therefore limiting Taylor’s options MIGHT he want to play a back four?

Rosencrantz

Nah. You don't know that at all. You can't judge anything from a couple of friendlies .
Doesn't signing attacking full.backs as you say he has suggest three at the back?
You've got this totally wrong.
Signing attacking full backs these days means signing attacking full backs. I'm not saying we will never play with a back three, just that he prefers a back four. He did in his first season where Aaron struggled and got dropped, and by signing McArdle and more dynamic full backs along with what evidence there was in the friendlies, it points to preferring a back four. You have to think his line up against Bristol City was his preference formation, a 4-2-3-1.

With injuries, more rotation this season and Williams maybe going that could change for some games to suit. But it still is the position that Aaron has gone and Matt made that decision even when getting another centre back in.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would imagine sometimes we'll play with a back three and sometimes with a back four. The fact that Caprice and Page are supposedly attacking wing backs suggests a back three. But if you had Sweeney and Hartridge as full backs (for example) you'd play with a back four.
I wouldn't mind seeing Sparkes and Page together in a 4 4 2, you would expect plenty of good quality crosses could be coming in.

With regards to Caprice, he is very very quick, far quicker than we have been used to, I want to see him in the opposition half a lot.

Rosencrantz

Caprice and Page have played the majority of their careers as full backs. Most full backs these days are attacking. They could play as wing backs, but they are comfortable as full backs.

Rosencrantz

I wouldn't mind seeing Sparkes and Page together in a 4 4 2, you would expect plenty of good quality crosses could be coming in.

With regards to Caprice, he is very very quick, far quicker than we have been used to, I want to see him in the opposition half a lot.
With Caprice you could have Taylor reverting back to right mid in a 4-4-2 although Key and Randall (both sides) give options for competition. Would like to see Jack back on the left wing at times this season with Page behind him, especially if he can get his sharpness back. He is the best crosser at the club. The options we have out wide are decent even without Williams, which still suggests to me a back four is preferred.