• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bring back Aaron Martin thread!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why can't we just move on from old players, getting me thinking about starting a bring back Alan Banks thread FFS

By the way it's a no for me (despite his brilliant stops last season)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No chance. He isn’t physical enough. Could be the reason we played at three rather than back four last season. A good player in a three, but as a partnership it’s too lightweight, despite him being a giant.
And yet he played well in the majority of his games during the last two seasons.
But if you prefer slow, immobile big blokes that's fine. The idea that Div 2 is just physical is old-fashioned and a fallacy.
I'm afraid Sir Matt must realise that, too.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been a big fan of his and thought the Moxey-Martin partnership worked well for us in most games last season. Then the play-off final came and they were the worst two players on the pitch for me. His final interview did seem to indicate he was unhappy with the manager at the end and I'd be surprised to see that relationship rekindled.
I don't remember much of a Martin and Moxey partnership, as others have said Martin was best in the middle of a three, him and Moxey in a two as part of a 4 - 4 - 2 is not something I'd want to see too often.

Rosencrantz

And yet he played well in the majority of his games during the last two seasons.
But if you prefer slow, immobile big blokes that's fine. The idea that Div 2 is just physical is old-fashioned and a fallacy.
I'm afraid Sir Matt must realise that, too.
He played well last season in a three. In his first season he played well enough to be dropped for an untried kid who had a decent partnership with Moxey. If we are playing in a back four, I'd rather have a fit Troy Brown like player.

LOG

Why can't we just move on from old players, getting me thinking about starting a bring back Alan Banks thread FFS
I seem to remember there being one for Alex Jeannin :D

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I seem to remember there being one for Alex Jeannin :D
Was it to reopen the creperie

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He won’t come back...I don’t get why people think there’s a chance of resigning him?

Matt released him and he didn’t even offer him a contract, when he could have, even if that was on reduced terms. He deliberately wanted to sign someone who he felt was a dominant centre back, which is why he brought in McArdle.

I am surprised he’s not turned up anywhere yet though. I don’t think he’s even been on trial as far as I know?
There seems to be a lot of unfounded speculation on this thread. All we know for facts are that no player out of contract was offered a new contract and we now have more cash than we did at the least season. Unless I've missed something, everything else is just guesswork. Personally I'm a big fan and would love to have him back but have no idea whether it's likely to happen or not. For now, though, it looks like we are going to have to place our trust in McArdle and hope he can find some form and start to play better than he did in pre-season.

IndoMike

He played well last season in a three. In his first season he played well enough to be dropped for an untried kid who had a decent partnership with Moxey. If we are playing in a back four, I'd rather have a fit Troy Brown like player.
Because he was replaced by a young lad who has proven to be a class above doesn"t mean that Martin is not good enough..
Brown was good but injury prone. Martin was seldom injured.
However, I've already said that I'd prefer us to get a good young loan signing in and if not offer Martin a one-year contract.if he wants it
Let me remind you that Martin has played regularly for a City team that just missed promotion last year . He's perfectly good enough for a Div 2 that aspires to promotion. Of course we can always sign someone better but that won't be easy.

Dannyred

I've been a big fan of his and thought the Moxey-Martin partnership worked well for us in most games last season. Then the play-off final came and they were the worst two players on the pitch for me. His final interview did seem to indicate he was unhappy with the manager at the end and I'd be surprised to see that relationship rekindled.

The question is should they have been selected knowing they were Both being kicked out after that match.

Deano was the best of the two of them, I think Matt made a mistake in not keeping him, I wouldn’t bring Martin back.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to Martin leaving, every player who was out of contract left, of the ones remaining they were fortunate to be left with another year.

I reckon a lot of them would have gone, i.e. Maxted, Parkes, Sweeney, Atangana, Fisher and Ajose. My hunch is all of these would have gone.