• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bomb in Exeter

finetime

Clueless nutter working alone or concerted attack on the West Country's capital of culture ?
Almost definitely the former. There's little you can do about a loony who wants to detonate a home made bomb (in response to your previous post) and compared to the 'terrorist' threat from the IRA and others in the 80s and 90s we live in fairly peaceful times. I think the perceived danger and sensationalisation of threat is far greater though. People shouldn't live in fear because there are one or two loonies around.

I could make a very potent and (using the right add-ons from Wickes) very badly injurin bomb in my lab. It would take an afternoon or so...

There will always bethe possibility but we shouldnt be fearful. An open society is the way to tackle people who want to blow up bombs, not government ordered military hit squads.

Jus my 2 cents - should prob have put this somewhere else (sorry).

GREAT to see nobody was hurt and everyone is being calm and collected. :)

ECFC TOM

My sister rang up a few minutes ago, She works in Prinipeles (sp?) which is in Princeshay. Didn't sound like she had been evacuated but i could be wrong. Apparently this nail bomb was strapped to him and he accidently set it off as he left...
Accidently?? Shirley if he had a nail bomb he had intentions to set it off

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
It went off in the toilet, where the chap in question was sitting. I'd almost guarantee that it was a lone nutter.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a f**king plum.

From the sounds of it he could have done more damage with a chuffing bat.

angelic upstart

What a f**king plum.

From the sounds of it he could have done more damage with a chuffing bat.
I thought the same thing. Perhaps more worrying is where and why was he nail bombed up in the first place.

GrecianInWales

Can't say I'm massively surprised that it's just the one bomb (or whatever the bloke had attached) - in the aftermath of an event where there's a lot of confusion you always get a few inaccuracies on any news (and I say that as somebody who's accidentally run a few myself, especially if it's from a good source) as people struggle to get a grip on what's going on. No doubt the picture will remain clearer over the next few days.

I'd be really really surprised if it was a link to anything major.

I reckon the best places to be looking for the info (as well as on here) are the blogs, technorati, and other social media - it'll be people on the ground who have a slightly better idea of what's going on.

Tim, as a reporting junkie, I'm a bit jealous - I'd have been straight into work the moment that broke, but then I'm also a bit of a saddo with no life.

radiogrecian

Enjoying my time off too much mate. Still celebrating the win at Wembley!

Gadget

It went off in the toilet, where the chap in question was sitting.
Why not just read a paper like everyone else. :)

grantexeter

will sat
b off now

Phil Sayers

I'm back early - Portland House where I work (the almost as ugly building next to Debenhams) is about to become part of the sealed off area apparently.