• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

best match

00gill78

One game that rarely gets mentioned is the last game of 82/83. Newort away.
Kicked off 15 minutes late . Losing 1-0 and with 10 minutes left we knew
we just needed a point to stay up. Last minute we get a corner Viney takes
puts it near post and Peter Rogers heads it in! City stay up! Picture caption
in the Echo was 'Happiness is your team avoiding relegation'.
2nd last home game bit special as well. Beat Southend 4-3 Neville hat trick
with a David Crown winner late on.

Forever7

Oxford for me. Absolutely no question. What a roller coaster of emotions.

Down - Odebade scores, even lower when Phillips scores and it is disallowed.... then a high when Lee scores, even better when Stanno scores... close your eyes time when the Oxford lad was clean through and Rice went to ground way, way too early... relief when I opened my eyes and the ball was in Ricey's arms. Lung-bursting pride at full-time when we had battered them and looking across hearing those City fans in full voice and I mean FULL voice. Then the penalties. Jones misses, Rice saves, Gill, Taylor, Mackie score, Oxford miss... suddenly we are on the brink... Logie misses, gutted, the chance had gone... Zenbroski misses, Tully steps up.... I think you know what happens next!!

The abiding memory for me is watching and listening to those City fans, friends and fellow supporters in the away end singing "Que Sera Sera, we're going to Wemberley...." I have never, ever heard it sung like that before. It must have been the realisation in those 1,000 voices. So , so special.

I still have the text from lammie on my mobile sent at 3am, some time after we had got back... "can't sleep mate. buzzing. what a night"

That said it all really.

MikeB

"can't sleep mate. buzzing. what a night"
Now that conjures up quite a picture!

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
:D

Great post. Deserves a decent reply.

Get to Gemini with Fullsy and pick up Matt Bishbash and Grecian in Wales.

Travel in hope. Not much. resigned. Get to the services and meet others that had bought tickets in advance.

See Jambo and the Jamblets for the first time in my life. Saw the "Hiley 2" shirt. Spirits raised. Fullsy winds down the window .

"He's so good he megged Ronaldo"

Get to the Press Box. Manc is doing a colour piece. Talk to Martin Allen. "Gilly is Key" he tells me. Sit down with Fullsy. Look around. Giler and Banksy beside me.

Lee Scores. Credy and Fever send same text. "Onside" .

One one one. 2-0 down. Fullsy calm. We needed to score 2 tonight, doesn't change anything.

Gilly pings a radar. Back in it.

Jon C. Gooaall!!! Turley claws.

74(?) mins. Robs left foot. Adam. Credy. Back to Adam. inside outside inside.

Runs to away end. Mental.

Jamie. Last minute. In front of us.

Saved.

Pens....

Go on Billy....

Stupid music . Kids are united. **** off.

Logie.... fill your boots....

Stupid music . Kids are united. **** off.

Zeb... miss miss miss miss....

Grecian in Wales in my ear...

"Up steps Tully"

Giler, Banksy, Matt Bamsey, F7, Fullsy and me in a group hug...

Down to pitchside. 50 mics around Jimbo "People are going to lose their jobs" and John Ayres with Tis "Yes, you can speak to Rob, Billy and others, but show Jim Smith respect...."

M4.

Pass bus....

Hang out window.

Not the right bus.....

3am... send text to F7.

Buzzing...

Jambo posts about the Gemini flypast and I spot that shirt at the devon bowl game....

Last edited:

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
The abiding memory for me is watching and listening to those City fans, friends and fellow supporters in the away end singing "Que Sera Sera, we're going to Wemberley...." I have never, ever heard it sung like that before. It must have been the realisation in those 1,000 voices. So , so special.
I wasn't at the game, but the atmosphere in the SJC, after watching the game on the big screen, was almost as electric! Although quite sober (I was driving!), I was dancing on the tables at the back singing the same song with every other person in the room! Magic moment...............

As for the best match, there are so many......

Forever7

:D

Great post. Deserves a decent reply.

Get to Gemini with Fullsy and pick up Matt Bishbash and Grecian in Wales.

Travel in hope. Not much. resigned. Get to the services and meet others that had bought tickets in advance.

Just remembered something else as well - Grecian In Wales' live update from the Gemini car on the way up!!! :D :D

Last edited:

Scooterboy 65

Oxford in play off,at there place.Great game,magic night. :D :D
Oh yes that was the night.
I had to wait for you to get back from the airport that day after your cruise I think Yeahhhh Properrrr

Jean Jeannie

Oh yes that was the night.
I had to wait for you to get back from the airport that day after your cruise I think Yeahhhh Properrrr
'ere thought you wuz a day shifter? On overtime?

Oxford defo.

loobygrecian

Has to be Oxford for me, coincidentally i watched the game on dvd at the weekend and ohhhh the goosebumps it still produces watching it. You know whats going to happen, but its so great to watch it and be able to think i was amongst the crowd singing my heart out.

Oh remember being on the phone to Nursey on the way back, we were all singing Wurzels songs in the car!

Another match i recall and it was special because RaWZ was a mascot for the game was the 3-0 win over Blackpool in what was then the Littlewoods cup in the 89/90 season and IIRC City went on to play Sunderland, we drew 2-2 at the park but unfortunately lost the replay.

Antony Moxey

This is really difficult. There've been a few that have genuinely moved me to tears: Northampton for our supposedly last ever game, MU and Wembley just for the sheer pride at seeing our team in such exhaulted surroundings to name but three. Then there was Red Alert's beer buses to Brighton and and that same Northampton match, with nights out in Weymouth and Weston respectively to follow.

Plus the complete and utter laugh that was staying in Hartlepool on a Wednesday night and getting the bus windows bricked - they were literally boarded up for the trip home. And any win at either the Turks or Gargs is to be savoured, especially the 3-0 when Bally was in charge.

There's also been some memorable away wins in the cups too - 4-2 against Birmingham in the league cup, and a 1-0 at West Brom in the autoglass after we got spanked 6-3 by them on the opening day of that season. I remember cheering when Mark Robson scored only to see my wedding ring fly off my finger and watch in sheer horror as it bounced down the steps to the front of the stand. Fortunately I watched it all the way and managed to find it, and bizarrely ten minutes later there was a tannoy announcement about someone losing a wedding ring in the away end - surely there couldn't have been TWO of us that unlucky.

I guess it just ain't that easy to narrow it down to just the one, and I haven't even included things like the 6-4 home win over Fulham followed by a 6-4 defeat by Reading in the very next home game, and a whole host of others.

Blimey, what a question!