• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Andy_H

I think Bally did us a favour on the buster transfer,and I think Man city paid a few bob more
Probably 'a few hundred thou' bob more, his true value on the open market, and not to a club managed by Alan Ball, was possibly closer to £200/250k, but still a decent wedge for ECFC at the time.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
^^^^
Wise words Ant...BTW how was the chilli last night ?😎
Very nice Olds, proper tasty.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the issue is that because we're in a minority if EFL clubs who run an Academy, we lose out financially whereas those without an Academy gain by receiving Premier League financial top ups. On this basis, it is unlikely that our Club Chair could gain enough support from other Clubs to effect change.

I wonder if there is any way for the EFL to negotiate a split process, whereby Clubs could opt out of the current process, not receive the PL top up, but look to negotiate "realistic" transfer fees for Academy players, as with the main transfer process.
Yep. This is what I suggested earlier in the thread. There should be an option to opt out. Either you a) take the money each season and sign up for EPPP or b) you opt out, don't get an annual hand out but have more clout when it comes to negotiations with PL clubs when they want to sign a player.

Clubs that don't have an academy can then take option a, which is in the interests of the PL too...after all, why should they pay clubs that don't produce any of their own players?

tonykellowfan

Yes, you already said that. So you disagree with the points I made above. Fair enough, but could you elaborate?
You have to remember that you are dealing with children. They aren't anyone's property and cannot enter into legal contracts. Imagine a 14 year old in an academy and their parents move jobs to a different part of the country.

Kids moving to different clubs happens all the time, even to the big boys, Sterling is a good example as is Sancho.

IndoMike

You have to remember that you are dealing with children. They aren't anyone's property and cannot enter into legal contracts. Imagine a 14 year old in an academy and their parents move jobs to a different part of the country.

Kids moving to different clubs happens all the time, even to the big boys, Sterling is a good example as is Sancho.
I don't see why you're telling me that and I don't get your post. Are you saying it's no problem for kids to move away or problem?

Pobbop

Yep. This is what I suggested earlier in the thread. There should be an option to opt out. Either you a) take the money each season and sign up for EPPP or b) you opt out, don't get an annual hand out but have more clout when it comes to negotiations with PL clubs when they want to sign a player.

Clubs that don't have an academy can then take option a, which is in the interests of the PL too...after all, why should they pay clubs that don't produce any of their own players?
Umm, surely that means the player can just walk away for nothing if he hasn't signed professionally, as happened with Peter Fox's son. Not sure this makes a lot of sense, under your system I think we'd get nowt for Stansfield or Chrisene, plus no EPPP money, doesn't sound a great deal.

Also doubt Amps would have signed the contract he did, if he thought Exeter would stand in the way of the transfer to Chelsea, so we'd have probably got nothing for him.

Look Tagg is doing the right thing and fighting to renegotiate it, it's about all that we can do.

Antony Moxey

I don't see why you're telling me that and I don't get your post. Are you saying it's no problem for kids to move away or problem?
Because you suggested it should be a rule that academy players stay with their clubs until they’re 18. Therefore if the parents were to move to Scotland the son couldn’t as he’d still be at ECFC’s academy. That’s why he’s telling you that.

IndoMike

Because you suggested it should be a rule that academy players stay with their clubs until they’re 18. Therefore if the parents were to move to Scotland the son couldn’t as he’d still be at ECFC’s academy. That’s why he’s telling you that.
Oh. I see. That's true.
But on the other hand if they weren't moving it would be different.
Anyway, looks like we have to accept the reality. It's a pity but our hands are tied.

Bittners a Legend

The issue isn't that players can leave, as frustrating as that is, but that the compensation is so poor. Unfortunately that has been made worse because transfer fees at the top of the game have become even more inflated in the last two years.

jimbo-gould

A lot of people on their high horse here claiming how they would’ve done something differently. He could’ve left sooner and chased the money. By finishing his scholarship it means we are due proper money for him. Looks like he will be a good player but he is completely unproven.