• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Boyo

But so are Palace, Sheffield United and Leeds.

There are five main areas in which the assessment takes place are as follows:
· Productivity rates
· Training facilities
· Coaching
· Education
· Welfare

Not sure how we score on these but I’d assume the training facilities need to be massively upgraded (I’m sure you need multiple pitches?). Staffing would need to be multiplied. And I imagine even our output, as good as it seems, would need to be increased.
I seem to recall from previous discussions around this, that one requirement for a Category 2 Academy is an indoor training area. A quick Google search and here's Colchester's...

32541596632410196.png

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
But so are Palace, Sheffield United and Leeds.

There are five main areas in which the assessment takes place are as follows:
· Productivity rates
· Training facilities
· Coaching
· Education
· Welfare

Not sure how we score on these but I’d assume the training facilities need to be massively upgraded (I’m sure you need multiple pitches?). Staffing would need to be multiplied. And I imagine even our output, as good as it seems, would need to be increased.
I remember when our academy was audited a few years back, we were assessed at meeting grade 2 criteria apart from requiring a covered pitch (minimum half size ?) plus an additional number of staff. The pitch requirement can be met by roofing the all weather surface and I believe plans are in hand to do this when funds become available.

Boyo

The point I'm making is that the "fame and fortune" will be still be there a year later if they're good enough. The rules aren't changing Mike so you have to try something different.
You cannot realistically expect a teenager to turn down £5k+ / week, superior coaching and significantly better facilities to stay at Exeter and maybe feature in some first team games. These lads are being picked up because they demonstrate technical brilliance. There's very limited benefit to them of staying. Indeed, there's a risk that the asset is actually worth less in 12 months time.

Antony Moxey

In an ideal world you’d like these players to thank the club for all the time and effort it’s put into getting them to a standard where the whole world and its wife wants to sign them by signing a reasonable contract with that parent club. Chelsea would still have chased Ampadu, Brentford Watkins, Preston Storey, Swansea Grimes and Villa Chrisene even if they were all on three year deals, and these nippers would all move on for big money deals to both them personally and the club.

However it isn’t an ideal world so unless a rule comes in that Academy players can’t be poached until they’re 18 say, or a fairer system for deciding value is in place (Chelsea were the reigning Premier League champions when they bought Ampadu and within weeks he was starting for the first team as well as being a current international - how much would such a player cost had he come from anywhere other than a L2 side compared to the derisory figure we did receive?) then we’re pretty much stuck with peanuts casually tossed in our general direction.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Wise words Ant...BTW how was the chilli last night ?😎

IndoMike

The point I'm making is that the "fame and fortune" will be still be there a year later if they're good enough. The rules aren't changing Mike so you have to try something different.
But your only suggestion is to try to persuade the lad and his parents to stay . It's very possible that the club tried to do that with Ampadu, Stansfield, and Chrisene but to no avail. So where do you go from there? It's not really a strategy, Malcs
Obviously most fans would like them to stay, but it's just not feasible.

malcolms

But your only suggestion is to try to persuade the lad and his parents to stay . It's very possible that the club tried to do that with Ampadu, Stansfield, and Chrisene but to no avail. So where do you go from there? It's not really a strategy, Malcs
Obviously most fans would like them to stay, but it's just not feasible.
Neither is holding up your hands and letting them walk out the door for nixes....

IndoMike

Neither is holding up your hands and letting them walk out the door for nixes....
Are you suggesting kidnapping?

malcolms

Are you suggesting kidnapping?
Well, at the moment we are being held to ransom by the establishment that masquerades as a fair and reasonable arbiter

IndoMike

Well, at the moment we are being held to ransom by the establishment that masquerades as a fair and reasonable arbiter
But apparently the clubs voted for it...Their interests must be different from ours.